Trade liberalization in a differentiated duopoly reconsidered
Constructing a model of differentiated Cournot duopoly, we consider welfare effects of trade liberalization (i.e. reductions in transport costs). We examine both multilateral trade (i.e. the firms in both countries export bilaterally) and unilateral trade, under which foreign entry is possible but the home firm cannot export. Some new results on trade gains under differentiated oligopoly are proved and their implications are discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 2001.
"Gains From Trade in a Cournot-Nash General Equilibrium,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 52(3), pages 284-302.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 1996. "Gains from Trade in a Cournot-Nash General Equibrium," Discussion Paper Series 66, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Jan 1998.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, June.
- David R. Collie, 1996. "Gains and losses from unilateral free trade under oligopoly," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1996024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Daniel M. Bernhofen, 2001. "Product differentiation, competition, and international trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(4), pages 1010-1023, November.
- Collie, David R & Roger Clarke, 2003.
"Product Differentiation and the Gains from Trade under Bertrand Duopoly,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
47, Royal Economic Society.
- Roger Clarke & David Collie, 2003. "Product differentiation and the gains from trade under Bertrand duopoly," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 658-673, August.
- Oz Shy, 1996. "Industrial Organization: Theory and Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262691795, June.
- Richard Friberg & Mattias Ganslandt, 2008. "Reciprocal Dumping with Product Differentiation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 942-954, November.
- Leonard Cheng, 1985. "Comparing Bertrand and Cournot Equilibria: A Geometric Approach," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(1), pages 146-152, Spring.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- James Brander, 1980.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities,"
380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reecon:v:63:y:2009:i:3:p:165-171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.