A Simulation-Based Specification Test for Diffusion Processes
This paper makes two contributions. First, we outline a simple simulation based framework for constructing conditional distributions for multi-factor and multi-dimensional diffusion processes, for the case where the functional form of the conditional density is unknown. The distributions can be used, for example, to form conditional confidence intervals for time period t + ¥ó , say, given information up to period t. Second, we use the simulation based approach to construct a test for the correct specification of a diffusion process. The suggested test is in the spirit of the conditional Kolmogorov test of Andrews (1997). However, in the present context the null conditional distribution is unknown and is replaced by its simulated counterpart. The limiting distribution of the test statistic is not nuisance parameter free. In light of this, asymptotically valid critical values are obtained via appropriate use of the block bootstrap. The suggested test has power against a larger class of alternatives than tests that are constructed using marginal distributions/densities, such as those in A¡§©¥t-Sahalia (1996) and Corradi and Swanson (2005). The findings of a small Monte Carlo experiment underscore the good finite sample properties of the proposed test, and an empirical illustration underscores the ease with which the proposed simulation and testing methodology can be applied.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (2008)
Issue (Month): (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.amstat.org/publications/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Sílvia Gonçalves & Halbert White, 2002.
"Maximum Likelihood and the Bootstrap for Nonlinear Dynamic Models,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Goncalves, Silvia & White, Halbert, 2004. "Maximum likelihood and the bootstrap for nonlinear dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 199-219, March.
- Goncalves, Silvia & White, Halbert, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood and the Bootstrap for Nonlinear Dynamic Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8hx21540, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Goncalves, Silvia & White, Halbert, 2000. "Maximum Likelihood and the Bootstrap for Nonlinear Dynamic Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt1bj657ff, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Corradi, V. & Swanson, N.R., 2000.
"A Consistent Test for Nonlinear Out of Sample Predictive Accuracy,"
0012, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2002. "A consistent test for nonlinear out of sample predictive accuracy," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 353-381, October.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003.
"Evaluation of Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Models Based on Distributional Comparison of Simulated and Historical Data,"
Departmental Working Papers
200320, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2007. "Evaluation of dynamic stochastic general equilibrium models based on distributional comparison of simulated and historical data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(2), pages 699-723, February.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2006.
"Bootstrap conditional distribution tests in the presence of dynamic misspecification,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 779-806, August.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003. "Bootstrap Conditional Distribution Tests In the Presence of Dynamic Misspecification," Departmental Working Papers 200311, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Darrell Duffie & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1990.
"Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Alastair R. Hall & Atsushi Inoue, 2005.
"The Large Sample Behaviour of the Generalized Method of Moments Estimator in Misspecified Models,"
- Hall, Alastair R. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2003. "The large sample behaviour of the generalized method of moments estimator in misspecified models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 361-394, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1996.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1111R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- MEDDAHI, Nour, 2001.
"An Eigenfunction Approach for Volatility Modeling,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-29, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Antonio Mele & Filippo Altissimo, 2004.
"Simulated Nonparametric Estimation of Continuous Time Models of Asset Prices and Returns,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp476, Financial Markets Group.
- Filippo Altissimo & Antonio Mele, 2004. "Simulated nonparametric estimation of continuous time models of asset prices and returns," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24674, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2005.
"Bootstrap specification tests for diffusion processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 117-148, January.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003. "Bootstrap Specification Tests for Diffusion Processes," Departmental Working Papers 200321, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 1999. "Transition Densities for Interest Rate and Other Nonlinear Diffusions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1361-1395, 08.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Bontemps, Christian & Meddahi, Nour, 2005.
"Testing normality: a GMM approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 149-186, January.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2002. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Discretely Sampled Diffusions: A Closed-form Approximation Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 223-262, January.
- Yongmiao Hong & Haitao Li & Feng Zhao, 2004. "Out-of-Sample Performance of Discrete-Time Spot Interest Rate Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 457-473, October.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003. "A Test for Comparing Multiple Misspecified Conditional Distributions," Departmental Working Papers 200314, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bes:jnlbes:v:26:y:2008:p:176-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.