Corporate Governance and Capital Structure:Evidence from Taiwan SMEs
This study examines the effects of corporate governance on capital structure, using the data of 145 small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange over the period 2000-2007. The results show that, when there is a high divergence between shareholdings and director seats, conventional industries prefer to use long-term debt financing, while high-tech industries prefer the opposite. For large firms, block-holders and independent directors prefer lower long-term debt financing, but family shareholders and managerial directors prefer lower short-term debt financing. We also find that family shareholding ratio and family directors are the two most important factors that affect the SMEs¡¯ debt ratio. The higher the family shareholding ratio is, the more short-term debt financing will be. However, family directors can reduce the incidence of using short-term debt to support long-term financial needs.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
Web page: http://www.bapress.ca
|Order Information:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niamh Brennan & Michael McDermott, 2004.
"Alternative Perspectives on Independence of Directors,"
Corporate Governance: An International Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 325-336, 07.
- Niamh Brennan & Michael McDermott, 2004. "Alternative Perspectives on Independence of Directors," Open Access publications 10197/3786, Research Repository, University College Dublin.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Julan Du & Yi Dai, 2005. "Ultimate Corporate Ownership Structures and Capital Structures: evidence from East Asian economies," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 60-71, 01.
- Friend, Irwin & Lang, Larry H P, 1988. " An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-interest on Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 271-281, June.
- Agrawal, Anup & Mandelker, Gershon N., 1990. "Large Shareholders and the Monitoring of Managers: The Case of Antitakeover Charter Amendments," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 143-161, June.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1986. "Large Shareholders and Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 461-488, June.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1986. "Large Shareholders and Corporate Control," Scholarly Articles 3606237, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Berger, Philip G & Ofek, Eli & Yermack, David L, 1997. " Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1411-1438, September.
- Philip E. Berger & Eli Ofek & David Yermack, 1996. "Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Anderson, Ronald C. & Mansi, Sattar A. & Reeb, David M., 2003. "Founding family ownership and the agency cost of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 263-285, May.
- Chong, Beng Soon, 2010. "The impact of divergence in voting and cash-flow rights on the use of bank debt," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 158-174, April.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990. "The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niamh Brennan, 2006. "Boards of Directors and Firm Performance: is there an expectations gap?," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(6), pages 577-593, November.
- Niamh Brennan, 2006. "Boards of directors and firm performance : is there an expectations gap?," Open Access publications 10197/2904, Research Repository, University College Dublin.
- Yermack, David, 1996. "Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 185-211, February.
- Marguerite Schneider, 2000. "When Financial Intermediaries are Corporate Owners: An Agency Model of Institutional Ownership," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 4(3), pages 207-237, September.
- Lisa Fairchild & Joanne Li, 2005. "Director Quality and Firm Performance," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 257-279, 05.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Brickley, James A. & Coles, Jeffrey L. & Terry, Rory L., 1994. "Outside directors and the adoption of poison pills," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 371-390, June.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1988. "Corporate governance : Voting rights and majority rules," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 203-235, January.
- Short, Helen & Keasey, Kevin, 1999. "Managerial ownership and the performance of firms: Evidence from the UK," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 79-101, March.
- F. Voulgaris & D. Asteriou & G. Agiomirgianakis, 2004. "Size and Determinants of Capital Structure in the Greek Manufacturing Sector," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 247-262.
- Jill F. Solomon & Shih Wei Lin & Simon D. Norton & Aris Solomon, 2003. "Corporate Governance in Taiwan: empirical evidence from Taiwanese company directors," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 235-248, 07.
- Timothy J. Brailsford & Barry R. Oliver & Sandra L. H. Pua, 2002. "On the relation between ownership structure and capital structure," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 42(1), pages 1-26.
- Lukas Setia-Atmaja & George A. Tanewski & Michael Skully, 2009. "The Role of Dividends, Debt and Board Structure in the Governance of Family Controlled Firms," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(7-8), pages 863-898.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1995. "Equity ownership and the two faces of debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 131-157, September.
- Erwan Morellec, 2004. "Can Managerial Discretion Explain Observed Leverage Ratios?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 257-294.
- Tsun-Siou Lee & Yin-Hua Yeh, 2004. "Corporate Governance and Financial Distress: evidence from Taiwan," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 378-388, 07. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bap:journl:120304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.