Demand For Quantity Versus Quality In Beef, Chicken And Fish Consumption In Nigeria
This study examines income elasticity of demand for quantity and quality beef, chicken, and fish in Nigeria. The analysis is based on randomly selected 134 households in Ondo state. The empirical results show that income elasticity of demand for beef, chicken, and fish are inelastic. This suggests that these food items are considered necessities among households in the sample. The computed income elasticity of demand for quality was found to be positive for all food items. The implication of this is that demand for quality beef, chicken, and fish increased as income of the household rises. Thus, from policy standpoint, this evidence could be explored to facilitate a better design of food policies aim at improving consumer welfare in Nigeria.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (031) 899-2215
Fax: (031) 899-2219
Web page: http://www.economia-aplicada.ufv.br/revista/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abiodun Elijah Obayelu & V.O. Okoruwa & O.I.Y. Ajani, 2009. "Cross-sectional analysis of food demand in the North Central, Nigeria: The quadratic almost ideal demand system (QUAIDS) approach," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 173-193, May.
- Aromolaran, Adebayo B., 2004. "Household income, women's income share and food calorie intake in South Western Nigeria," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 507-530, October.
- Mdafri, Abdellah & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1993.
"Demand for red meat, poultry, and fish in Morocco: an almost ideal demand system,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), August.
- Mdafri, Abdellah & Wade Brorsen, B., 1993. "Demand for red meat, poultry, and fish in Morocco: an almost ideal demand system," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 155-163, August.
- Corinna Manig & Alessio Moneta, 2009.
"More or Better ? Measuring Quality versus Quantity in Food Consumption,"
LEM Papers Series
2009/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Corinna Manig & Alessio Moneta, 2014. "More or better? Measuring quality versus quantity in food consumption," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 155-178, July.
- Corinna Manig & Alessio Moneta, 2009. "More Or Better? Measuring Quality Versus Quantity In Food Consumption," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2009-13, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ogunyinka, Ebenezer & Marsh, Thomas L., 2003. "Testing Separability In A Generalized Ordinary Differential Demand System: The Case Of Nigerian Demand For Meat," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35111, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Craig A. Gallet, 2010. "Meat Meets Meta: A Quantitative Review of the Price Elasticity of Meat," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(1), pages 258-272.
- Kuo S. Huang Fred Gale, 2009. "Food demand in China: income, quality, and nutrient effects," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(4), pages 395-409, August.
- Jabbar, Mohammad A. & di Domenico, C M, 1993. "Demand For Dairy Productis Among The Indigenous Population Of Southern Nigeria," Research Reports 183018, International Livestock Research Institute.
- Ezedinma, Chuma I. & Kormawa, P.M. & Chianu, Jonas, 2006. "Urban Household Demand For Meat And Meat Products In Nigeria: An Almost Ideal Demand System Analysis," FAMAN Papers 2006 54404, Farm Management Association of Nigeria (FAMAN).
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:rdeeag:141140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.