Geography of Employment and Establishment Dynamics in Information Technology and E-Commerce Industries
Firm-specific data were used to analyze variation in employment and establishment dy-namics (birth, death, expansion, and contraction) of metro, metro-adjacent, and non-metro re-gions in the State of Kansas. To account for overall dynamism, a model of regional change based on classical economic theory was developed. Employment and establishment dynamics in Information Technology (IT)-producing and using industries, E-commerce-intensive indus-tries, and goods and service-producing industries were studied using panel data between 1990 and 2003. Results indicated there were significantly more employment and establishment births in metro IT-producing, IT-using, and service-producing industries versus the metro-adjacent region. A comparison between the metro and non-metro regions showed higher le-vels of employment births in metro IT-using and service-producing industries. Overall, the non-metro region showed relatively better employment growth in IT-producing and goods-producing industries. The results shed light on prospects for rural areas to capture a share of the economic growth associated with these industry sectors.
Volume (Year): 38 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jrap-journal.org/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Scott Shane, 2001. "Technology Regimes and New Firm Formation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(9), pages 1173-1190, September.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, June.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-49, August.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"Pattenrs Of Firm Entry And Exit In U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
1-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988. "Patterns of Firm Entry and Exit in U.S. Manufacturing Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515, Winter.
- hUallachain, Breandan O & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 1992. "Sectoral growth patterns at the metropolitan level: An evaluation of economic development incentives," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 25-58, January.
- J. Jordan, 2010. "Bayesian Learning in Normal Form Games," Levine's Working Paper Archive 573, David K. Levine.
- Jordan, J. S., 1991. "Bayesian learning in normal form games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 60-81, February.
- Holly Barcus, 2004. "Urban-Rural Migration in the USA: An Analysis of Residential Satisfaction," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 643-657.
- Anas, Alex & Arnott, Richard & Small, Kenneth A., 1997.
"Urban Spatial Structure,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt835049q3, University of California Transportation Center.
- Danny Miller & Peter H. Friesen, 1984. "A Longitudinal Study of the Corporate Life Cycle," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(10), pages 1161-1183, October.
- Sammis B. White & John F. Zipp & William F. McMahon & Peter D. Reynolds & Jeffrey D. Osterman & Lisa S. Binkley, 1990. "ES202: The Data Base for Local Employment Analysis," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 4(3), pages 240-253, August.
- Robert E. Quinn & Kim Cameron, 1983. "Organizational Life Cycles and Shifting Criteria of Effectiveness: Some Preliminary Evidence," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(1), pages 33-51, January.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Cox, James C. & Shachat, Jason & Walker, Mark, 2001. "An Experiment to Evaluate Bayesian Learning of Nash Equilibrium Play," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 11-33, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jrapmc:132336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.