Effect of Decoupled Payments on U.S. Agricultural Production
In the current WTO negotiations, the developing and the developed countries take opposite view regarding the criteria for green box subsidies supposed to be decoupled from current production levels and prices. This study investigates whether U.S. PFC and direct payment subsidies are truly decoupled from production or not by modeling the farmers' risk attitudes in a non-structural approach and estimating the effect of decoupled payments on production by the change in risk attitudes. The effect of decoupled payments is not only statistically insignificant on corn and soybean acreage but also very small in magnitude.
Volume (Year): 31 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.krei.re.kr/eng/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mary E. Burfisher & Sherman Robinson & Karen Thierfelder, 2000. "North American Farm Programs and the WTO," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 768-774.
- C. Edwin Young & Paul C. Westcott, 2000. "How Decoupled Is U.S. Agricultural Support for Major Crops?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 762-767.
- Renan-Ulrich Goetz & Alois Keusch & Joan Ribas-Tur, 2005.
"The Efficiency of Direct Payments versus Tax Reductions under Uncertainty,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 141(I), pages 115-127, March.
- Goetz, Renan U. & Keusch, Alois & Ribas-Tur, Joan, 2003. "The Efficiency of Direct Payments versus Tax Reductions under Uncertainty," Working Papers of the Department of Economics, University of Girona 8, Department of Economics, University of Girona.
- Key, Nigel D. & Lubowski, Ruben N. & Roberts, Michael J., 2004. "The 1996 Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act: Correcting a Distortion?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20128, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jordng:45684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.