Incorporating Environmentally Compliant Manure Nutrient Disposal Costs into Least-Cost Livestock Ration Formulation
Livestock rations are formulated to minimize feed cost subject to nutritional requirements for a target performance level, which ignores the potentially substantial cost of disposing of nutrients fed in excess of nutritional requirements. We incorporate nutrient disposal costs into a modified least-cost ration formulation model to arrive at a joint least-cost decision that minimizes the sum of feed and net nutrient disposal costs. The method is demonstrated with phosphorus disposal costs on a representative dairy farm. Herd size, land availability and proximity, crop rotation, and initial soil phosphorus content are shown to be important in determining phosphorus disposal costs.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey R. Stokes & Peter R. Tozer, 2002. "Cost Minimization and Managing Soil Nutrient Loading: Conflict or Compromise?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 50(2), pages 151-169, 07.
- Wittenberg, Eric & Wolf, Christopher A., 2005. "2004 Michigan Dairy Grazing Farm Business Analysis Summary," Staff Papers 11709, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Wittenberg, Eric & Wolf, Christopher A., 2005. "2004 Michigan Dairy Farm Business Analysis Summary," Staff Papers 11785, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Boland, Michael A. & Preckel, Paul V. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1998. "Economic Analysis Of Phosphorus - Reducing Technologies In Pork Production," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Bosch, Darrell J. & Zhu, Minkang & Kornegay, Ervin T., 1997. "Economic Returns From Reducing Poultry Litter Phosphorus With Microbial Phytase," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Darrell J. Bosch & James W. Pease, 2004. "Manure Applications and Nutrient Standards," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 14-25.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:45525. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.