Incorporating Environmentally Compliant Manure Nutrient Disposal Costs into Least-Cost Livestock Ration Formulation
Livestock rations are formulated to minimize feed cost subject to nutritional requirements for a target performance level, which ignores the potentially substantial cost of disposing of nutrients fed in excess of nutritional requirements. We incorporate nutrient disposal costs into a modified least-cost ration formulation model to arrive at a joint least-cost decision that minimizes the sum of feed and net nutrient disposal costs. The method is demonstrated with phosphorus disposal costs on a representative dairy farm. Herd size, land availability and proximity, crop rotation, and initial soil phosphorus content are shown to be important in determining phosphorus disposal costs.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey R. Stokes & Peter R. Tozer, 2002. "Cost Minimization and Managing Soil Nutrient Loading: Conflict or Compromise?," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 50(2), pages 151-169, 07.
- Boland, Michael A. & Preckel, Paul V. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1998. "Economic Analysis Of Phosphorus - Reducing Technologies In Pork Production," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Bosch, Darrell J. & Zhu, Minkang & Kornegay, Ervin T., 1997.
"Economic Returns From Reducing Poultry Litter Phosphorus With Microbial Phytase,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Bosch, Darrell J. & Zhu, Minkang & Kornegay, Ervin T., 1997. "Economic Returns from Reducing Poultry Litter Phosphorus with Microbial Phytase," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 255-266, December.
- Wittenberg, Eric & Wolf, Christopher A., 2005. "2004 Michigan Dairy Grazing Farm Business Analysis Summary," Staff Papers 11709, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Wittenberg, Eric & Wolf, Christopher A., 2005. "2004 Michigan Dairy Farm Business Analysis Summary," Staff Papers 11785, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Darrell J. Bosch & James W. Pease, 2004. "Manure Applications and Nutrient Standards," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 14-25. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)