Firm-Level Competition in Price and Variety
Consumer product manufacturers often compete in dynamic, multi-firm oligopolies using multiple strategic tools. While existing empirical models of strategic interaction typically consider only parts of the more general problem, this paper presents a more comprehensive alternative. Marketing decision are dynamically optimal, consistent with optimal consumer choice, and responsive to rival decisions. Using a single-market case study that consists of five years of four-weekly data on ready-to-eat cereal sales, prices, and new brand introductions, we test several hypotheses regarding the nature of strategic interaction among several rival manufacturers. We find that cereal manufacturers price and introduce new brands cooperatively in the same period, but behave more competitively when dynamic reactions are included.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dhar, Tirtha & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cotterill, Ronald W. & Gould, Brian W., 2002.
"An Econometric Analysis of Brand Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca Cola and Pepsi Inc,"
201553, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Dhar, Tirtha Pratim & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cotterill, Ronald W. & Gould, Brian W., 2002. "An Econometric Analysis of Brand Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca Cola and Pepsi Inc," Research Reports 25231, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Tirtha Pratim Dhar & Jean-Paul Chavas & Ronald W. Cotterill & Brian W. Gould, 2002. "An Econometric Analysis of Brand Level Strategic Pricing Between Coca Cola and Pepsi Inc," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 065, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Vithala R. Rao, 1996. "Pricing Strategies in a Dynamic Duopoly: A Differential Game Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(11), pages 1501-1514, November.
- Timothy J. Richards & Stephen F. Hamilton, 2006. "Rivalry in Price and Variety among Supermarket Retailers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(3), pages 710-726.
- Naufel J. Vilcassim & Vrinda Kadiyali & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1999. "Investigating Dynamic Multifirm Market Interactions in Price and Advertising," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 499-518, April.
- Kadiyali, Vrinda & Vilcassim, Naufel & Chintagunta, Pradeep, 1998. "Product line extensions and competitive market interactions: An empirical analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 339-363, November.
- Reimer Jeffrey J, 2004.
"Market Conduct in the U.S. Ready-to-Eat Cereal Industry,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-29, November.
- Reimer, Jeffrey J. & Connor, John M., 2002. "Market Conduct In The U.S. Ready-To-Eat Cereal Industry," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19726, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gasmi, F & Laffont, J J & Vuong, Q, 1992.
"Econometric Analysis of Collusive Behavior in a Soft-Drink Market,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 277-311, Summer.
- Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Vuong, Quang, 1992. "Econometric Analysis of Collusive Behavior in a Soft Drink Market," IDEI Working Papers 16, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Michael H. Riordan, 1985. "Imperfect Information and Dynamic Conjectural Variations," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(1), pages 41-50, Spring.
- Kadiyali, Vrinda & Vilcassim, Naufel J & Chintagunta, Pradeep K, 1996. "Empirical Analysis of Competitive Product Line Pricing Decisions: Lead, Follow, or Move Together?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(4), pages 459-87, October.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2004. "Consumer Learning, Brand Loyalty, and Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(1), pages 134-145, December.
- repec:cdl:compol:217 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:43788. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.