Optimal Hedging Strategies For The U.S. Cattle Feeder
Multiproduct optimal hedging for simulated cattle feeding is compared to alternative hedging strategies using weekly price data for 1983-95. Out-of-sample means and variances of hedged feeding margins using estimated hedge ratios for four commodities suggest that there is no consistent domination pattern among the alternative strategies, leaving the hedging decision up to the agent's degree of risk aversion. However, all hedging strategies significantly reduce the feeding margin's means and variances compared to no hedging, with variance reduction always exceeding 50%. Hedging results appear quite sensitive to the data set and its size.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 301 Conner Hall, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602-7509|
Web page: http://www.agecon.uga.edu/~jab/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shafer, Carl E. & Griffin, Wade L. & Johnston, Larry D., 1978. "Integrated Cattle Feeding Hedging Strategies, 1972-1976," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 10(02), December.
- Shafer, Carl E. & Griffin, Wade L. & Johnston, Larry D., 1978. "Integrated Cattle Feeding Hedging Strategies, 1972-1976," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 35-42, December.
- Gorman, William D. & Schuneman, Thomas R. & Catlett, Lowell B. & Urquhart, N. Scott & Southward, G. Morris, 1982. "Empirical Evaluation Of Selected Hedging Strategies For Cattle Feeders," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(02), December.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1980. " Hedging and Joint Production: Theory and Illustrations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 487-98, May.
- C. A. Carter & R. M. A. Loyns, 1985. "Hedging Feedlot Cattle: A Canadian Perspective," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(1), pages 32-39.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jloagb:14679. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.