Gender Bias Claims in Farm Service Agencyâ€™s Lending Decisions
This study analyzes the courtsâ€™ denial of women farmersâ€™ motion for class-action certification of their lawsuits alleging gender discrimination in Farm Service Agency (FSA) lending decisions. The plaintiffsâ€™ claim of â€œcommonalityâ€ of circumstances in women farmersâ€™ dealings with FSA is tested using a four-year sampling of Georgia FSA loan applications. The econometric framework has been developed after accounting for the separability of loan approval and amount decisions, as well as endogeneity issues through instrumental variable estimation. This studyâ€™s results do not produce overwhelming evidence of gender bias in FSA loan approval decisions and in favor of the â€œcommonalityâ€ argument among Georgia FSA farm loan applicants.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gustafson, Cole R. & Beyer, Ronald J. & Saxowsky, David M., 1991. "Credit Evaluation: Investigating the Decision Process of Agricultural Loan Officers," Proceedings: 1991 Regional Committee NC-161, September 23-24, 1991, St. Louis, Missouri 130940, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Escalante, Cesar L. & Brooks, Rodney L. & Epperson, James E. & Stegelin, Forrest E., 2006.
"Credit Risk Assessment and Racial Minority Lending at the Farm Service Agency,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 61-75, April.
- Escalante, Cesar L. & Brooks, Rodney L. & Epperson, James E. & Stegelin, Forrest E., 2006. "Credit Risk Assessment and Racial Minority Lending at the Farm Service Agency," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(01), April.
- Jeffrey M. Lacker, 1995. "Neighborhoods and banking," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 13-38.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 2, number 9780226041162.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:54550. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.