Sequential Stochastic Production Decisions For A Perennial Crop: The Yield/Quality Tradeoff For Alfalfa Hay
The "optimal cutting schedule" for alfalfa hay is described as a function of the trade-off between rising yield and falling quality of alfalfa over time and the local market prices being offered for different qualities of hay during the harvest season. Field test results quantify the yield/quality tradeoff for a California case study. A general decision rule is then derived to assist growers in making cutting decisions during a season. Finally, the optimal cutting schedule is shown to be the sum of sequential decisions for cuttings throughout the harvest season, with no schedule being best a priori.
Volume (Year): 26 (2001)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dillon, Carl R., 1993. "Advanced breakeven analysis of agricultural enterprise budgets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 127-143, August.
- Steven C. Blank & Harry W. Ayer, 1987. "Government policy cross effects: The cotton and dairy programs' influence on alfalfa hay markets," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(4), pages 385-392.
- Debertin, David L. & Pagoulatos, Angelos, 1985.
"Optimal Management Strategies For Alfalfa Production Within A Total Farm Plan,"
Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Debertin, David L. & Pagoulatos, Angelos, 1985. "Optimal Management Strategies for Alfalfa Production Within a Total Farm Plan," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 127-138, December.
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Harper, Jayson K. & Hoffman, Lynn D., 1997. "Impact Of Risk Preferences On Crop Rotation Choice," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(1), April.
- Grisley, William & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Dickerson, Ted, 1985. "Factors Affecting The Price Of Hay At A Pennsylvania Auction," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 14(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:31159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.