Abstinence and the Single Desk: Canada â€“ US Wheat Trade Relations in a post-CWB World
The elimination of the single-desk monopsony/monopoly granted to the Canadian Wheat Board for western Canadian milling wheat acquisitions and sales will have ramifications for Canadian-U.S. trade relations. This article speculates on the volume of future north/south wheat trade flows. Given this perspective on trade prospects, an examination of the history of Canada-U.S. wheat trade disputes is considered. Historical experience is then used to gauge the potential for future trade remedy actions. The prospects for future contingent protection measures â€“ antidumping and countervailing duties â€“ are then considered, and possible steps for policy makers, farmers, and agribusinesses are presented.
Volume (Year): 13 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (306) 244-4800
Fax: (306) 244-7839
Web page: http://www.esteycentre.com/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2003.
"Evolving Discretionary Practices of U.S Antidumping Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
9625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2006. "Evolving discretionary practices of U.S. antidumping activity," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(3), pages 874-900, August.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2002. "Evolving Discretionary Practices of U.S. Antidumping Activity," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-20, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Aug 2003.
- James Rude & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2009.
"Biases in Calculating Dumping Margins: The Case of Cyclical Products,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 122-142.
- Rude, James & Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2007. "Biases in calculating dumping Margins: The case of cyclical products," MPRA Paper 2745, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Gray, 1997. "Third-Country Effects and Second-Best Grain Trade Policies: Export Subsidies and Bilateral Liberalization," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1300-1310.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ecjilt:129842. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.