Biases in Calculating Dumping Margins: The Case of Cyclical Products
A dumping investigation involves comparing export prices with a “normal value” loosely defined as the price in the exporter's domestic market observed in the course of normal trade. However, domestic sales with prices below production costs are excluded from the computation of a normal value. The paper illustrates how price cycles affect the magnitude of estimated dumping margins. The empirical analysis focuses on Canadian hog exports to the United States and U.S. potato exports to Canada. The estimated period and amplitude of each price cycles result in average dumping margins for Canadian hogs and U.S. potato exports of 11.5% and 5.9%, respectively. Biases in dumping margins depend on the nature of the cycle, the period of investigation, and the average production cost estimate. Copyright 2009, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 31 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005.
"The Rise of U.S. Antidumping Activity in Historical Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
05/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005. "The Rise of US Anti-dumping Activity in Historical Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 651-668, 05.
- Hartigan, James C, 2000. "Is the GATT/WTO Biased against Agricultural Products in Unfair International Trade Investigations?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 634-46, November.
- Arye L. Hillman & Eliakim Katz, 1986. "Domestic Uncertainty and Foreign Dumping," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 403-16, August.
- Wendy L. Hansen & Thomas J. Prusa, 1995.
"Cumulation and ITC Decision-Making: The Sum of the Parts is Greater thanthe Whole,"
NBER Working Papers
5062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Wendy L & Prusa, Thomas J, 1996. "Cumulation and ITC Decision-Making: The Sum of the Parts Is Greater Than the Whole," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(4), pages 746-69, October.
- Wendy L. Hansen & Thomas J. Prusa, 1996. "Cumulation and ITC Decision-Making: The Sum of the Parts is Greater Than the Whole," Departmental Working Papers 199422, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Parker, Cameron & Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2006. "Unit root testing via the stationary bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 601-638, August.
- Niels, Gunnar, 2000. " What Is Antidumping Policy Really About?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 467-92, September.
- Wendy L. Hansen & Thomas J. Prusa, 1996.
"The Economics and Politics of Trade Policy: An Empirical Analysis of ITC Decision Making,"
Departmental Working Papers
199621, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Wendy L & Prusa, Thomas J, 1997. "The Economics and Politics of Trade Policy: An Empirical Analysis of ITC Decision Making," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 230-45, May.
- Bernhardt, Dan, 1984. "Dumping, adjustment costs and uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 349-370, December.
- Matthew T. Holt & Lee A. Craig, 2006. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Structural Change in the U.S. Hog—Corn Cycle: A Time-Varying STAR Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 215-233.
- Robert W. Staiger, 2005. "Some Remarks on Reforming WTO AD/CVD Rules," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 739-743, 05.
- Douglas J. Miller & Marvin L. Hayenga, 2001. "Price Cycles and Asymmetric Price Transmission in the U.S. Pork Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 551-562.
- Hartigan, James C & Kamma, Sreenivas & Perry, Philip R, 1989. "The Injury Determination Category and the Value of Relief from Dumping," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 183-86, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:revage:v:31:y:2009:i:1:p:122-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.