Biases in calculating dumping Margins: The case of cyclical products
A dumping investigation involves comparing export prices with a “normal value” loosely defined as the price in the exporter’s domestic market observed in the course of normal trade. However, domestic sales with prices below production costs are excluded from the computation of a normal value; thus increasing the probability products with cyclical prices will get caught with positive dumping margins although there are no intentions to dump. The objective of the paper is to illustrate how price cycles impact the magnitude of estimated dumping margins. The empirical analysis focuses on Canadian hog exports to the U.S. and U.S. potato exports to Canada. The period and amplitude of each price cycles are estimated. The analysis starts with the assumption that export and domestic prices are equal so no true dumping occurs. Margins are then calculated based on rules that exclude below cost sales. The resulting average dumping margins for Canadian hogs and U.S. potato exports are respectively 11.5 and 5.9 percent. Biases in dumping margins depend on the nature of the cycle, the period of investigations, and the estimate of the cost of production.
|Date of creation:||14 Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005.
"The Rise of U.S. Antidumping Activity in Historical Perspective,"
IMF Working Papers
05/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2005. "The Rise of US Anti-dumping Activity in Historical Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 651-668, 05.
- Robert W. Staiger, 2005. "Some Remarks on Reforming WTO AD/CVD Rules," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 739-743, 05.
- Arye L. Hillman & Eliakim Katz, 1986. "Domestic Uncertainty and Foreign Dumping," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 403-16, August.
- Niels, Gunnar, 2000. " What Is Antidumping Policy Really About?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 467-92, September.
- Wendy L. Hansen & Thomas J. Prusa, 1996.
"The Economics and Politics of Trade Policy: An Empirical Analysis of ITC Decision Making,"
Departmental Working Papers
199621, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Wendy L & Prusa, Thomas J, 1997. "The Economics and Politics of Trade Policy: An Empirical Analysis of ITC Decision Making," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 230-45, May.
- Hansen, Wendy L & Prusa, Thomas J, 1996.
"Cumulation and ITC Decision-Making: The Sum of the Parts Is Greater Than the Whole,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(4), pages 746-69, October.
- Wendy L. Hansen & Thomas J. Prusa, 1996. "Cumulation and ITC Decision-Making: The Sum of the Parts is Greater Than the Whole," Departmental Working Papers 199422, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Wendy L. Hansen & Thomas J. Prusa, 1995. "Cumulation and ITC Decision-Making: The Sum of the Parts is Greater thanthe Whole," NBER Working Papers 5062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parker, Cameron & Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2006. "Unit root testing via the stationary bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 601-638, August.
- Hartigan, James C, 2000. "Is the GATT/WTO Biased against Agricultural Products in Unfair International Trade Investigations?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 634-46, November.
- Bernhardt, Dan, 1984. "Dumping, adjustment costs and uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 349-370, December.
- Douglas J. Miller & Marvin L. Hayenga, 2001. "Price Cycles and Asymmetric Price Transmission in the U.S. Pork Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 551-562.
- Hartigan, James C & Kamma, Sreenivas & Perry, Philip R, 1989. "The Injury Determination Category and the Value of Relief from Dumping," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 183-86, February.
- Matthew T. Holt & Lee A. Craig, 2006. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Structural Change in the U.S. Hog—Corn Cycle: A Time-Varying STAR Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 215-233.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2745. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.