Some General Equilibrium Effects Of Mining Growth On The Economy
The effects of mining sector growth are analysed with a five-sector general equilibrium model. The effect of the mineral discoveries is to cause the agricultural sector to contract, but to cause the import-competing sector to expand by a small amount--a result which differs from Gregory's (1976) analysis. However, a mining boom caused by increases in external demand, rather than by new discoveries, leads to a different set of results. Some likely effects of the boom on the growth rates of the different sectors in the economy are reported. Finally, the effects of an export tax on minerals are considered.
Volume (Year): 23 (1979)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robin Boadway & John Treddenick, 1975. "Computing the Effects of Tariffs in a Multi-Sector General Equilibrium Model with Interindustry Flows: An Application to Canada," Working Papers 176, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Bigman, David, 1978. "Derived Demand and Distributive Shares in a Multifactor Multisector Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 923-928, December.
- Taylor, Lance & Black, Stephen L., 1974. "Practical general equilibrium estimation of resource pulls under trade liberalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-58, April.
- Chipman, John S., 1974. "Homothetic preferences and aggregation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 26-38, May.
- Peter B. Dixon & B. R. Parmenter & John Sutton, 1978. "Some Causes Of Structural Maladjustment In The Australian Economy," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(57), pages 10-26, 01.
- Rudolf R. Rhomberg, 1976. "Indices of Effective Exchange Rates (Indices de taux de change effectifs) (Indices de tipos de cambio efectivos)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 88-112, March.
- Gregory, R.G., 1976. "Some Implications Of The Growth Of The Mineral Sector," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 20(02), August.
- Solow, Robert M, 1974. "The Economics of Resources or the Resources of Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 1-14, May.
- Snape, Richard H., 1977. "Effects Of Mineral Development On The Economy," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1977. "Cartel Pricing and the Structure of the World Bauxite Market," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 343-360, Autumn.