The John L. Dillon Memorial Lecture 2010: The rise and fall of farm management as an academic discipline: an autobiographical perspective
The title relates to the title of the Inaugural Lecture of the Late Professor John L Dillon, Foundation Professor of Farm Management at UNE, in whose memory this lecture series was established. The author has been involved in the farm management discipline for more than 50 years. He reflects on the nature and origins of the discipline and outlines some key aspects of its evolution. The discipline boomed in the 1960s and 70s, both internationally and at UNE. Yet it has fallen into relative decline subsequently. He suggests some of the reasons for the decline, focussing particularly on issues in Australia. He discusses the need for a revival in a world in which food security is likely to be an increasingly serious problem. He concludes with thoughts about the prospects and prerequisites for a revival of the discipline.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malcolm, Bill, 2004. "Farm Management analysis: a core discipline, simple sums, sophisticated thinking," AFBM Journal, Australasian Farm Business Management Network, vol. 1.
- Phillips, Joseph M, 1994. "Farmer Education and Farmer Efficiency: A Meta-Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(1), pages 149-65, October.
- Charry, Al A. & Cox, Rodney J. & Parton, Kevin A. & Crockett, Judith & Johnson, Sue & Bone, Zelma & Whiteley, Wal, 2003. "Farm Management in Australia: The Way Forward," 14th Congress, Perth, Western Australia, August 10-15, 2003 24358, International Farm Management Association.
- Dillon, John L., 1962. "Applications Of Game Theory In Agricultural Economics: Review And Requiem," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 6(02), December.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Robert G. Chambers & Rulon D. Pope, 2010. "Production Economics and Farm Management: a Century of Contributions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 356-375.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:afbmau:120906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.