Strategic Forward Contracting in the Wholesale Electricity Market
This paper analyses a wholesale electricity market with supply function competition. Trade in the forward and spot markets is represented by a two-stage game, and its subgame perfect Nash equilibrium (SPNE) is characterized. It is verified that increased forward sales of a producer constitute a credible commitment to aggressive spot market bidding. The paper identifies market situations when this pro-competitive commitment is unilaterally profitable for the producer. It is also proven that a producer has incentives to sell in the forward market in order to reduce competitors' forward sales, which softens their spot market offers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): Volume 32 (2011)
Issue (Month): Number 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 28790 Chagrin Blvd Ste 350, Cleveland, OH 44122, USA|
Web page: http://www.iaee.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.iaee.org/en/publications/ejsearch.aspx|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, July.
- Ferreira José Luis, 2006.
"The Role of Observability in Futures Markets,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22, June.
- Ferreira, José Luis, 2001. "The role of observability in futures markets," UC3M Working papers. Economics we015316, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Bolle, Friedel, 1992. "Supply function equilibria and the danger of tacit collusion : The case of spot markets for electricity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 94-102, April.
- Newbery, D, 2008. "Analytic Solutions for Supply Function Equilibria: Uniqueness and Stability," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0848, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kristiansen, Tarjei, 2007. "Pricing of monthly forward contracts in the Nord Pool market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 307-316, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)