Fiscal Policy and the Great Recession in the Euro Area
How much did fiscal policy contribute to euro area real GDP growth during the Great Recession? We estimate that discretionary fiscal measures have increased annualized quarterly real GDP growth during the crisis by up to 1.6 percentage points. We obtain our result by using an extended version of the European Central Bank's New Area-Wide Model with a rich specification of the fiscal sector. A detailed modeling of the fiscal sector and the incorporation of as many as eight fiscal time series appear pivotal for our result.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 102 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/aer/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- GÃ¼nter Coenen & Roland Straub, 2005.
"Does Government Spending Crowd in Private Consumption? Theory and Empirical Evidence for the Euro Area,"
IMF Working Papers
05/159, International Monetary Fund.
- Günter Coenen & Roland Straub, 2005. "Does Government Spending Crowd in Private Consumption? Theory and Empirical Evidence for the Euro Area," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 435-470, December.
- Coenen, Günter & Straub, Roland, 2005. "Does government spending crowd in private consumption? Theory and empirical evidence for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0513, European Central Bank.
- Leeper, Eric M. & Walker, Todd B. & Yang, Shu-Chun S., 2010.
"Government investment and fiscal stimulus,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(8), pages 1000-1012, November.
- Thorsten Drautzburg & Harald Uhlig, 2011.
"Fiscal Stimulus and Distortionary Taxation,"
2011-005, Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics.
- Thorsten Drautzburg & Harald Uhlig, 2011. "Fiscal Stimulus and Distortionary Taxation," 2011 Meeting Papers 481, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Thorsten Drautzburg & Harald Uhlig, 2013. "Fiscal stimulus and distortionary taxation," Working Papers 13-46, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Thorsten Drautzburg & Harald Uhlig, 2011. "Fiscal Stimulus and Distortionary Taxation," NBER Working Papers 17111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorsten Drautzburg & Harald Uhlig, 2011. "Fiscal stimulus and distortionary taxation," CQER Working Paper 2011-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Drautzburg, Thorsten & Uhlig, Harald, 2011. "Fiscal stimulus and distortionary taxation," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-037, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Eric M. Leeper & Todd B. Walker & Shu-Chun Susan Yang, 2011. "Foresight and Information Flows," NBER Working Papers 16951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric Leeper & Todd B. Walker & Susan Shu-Chun Yang, 2009.
"Government Investment And Fiscal Stimulus In The Short And Long Runs,"
Caepr Working Papers
2009-011, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Eric M. Leeper & Todd B. Walker & Shu-Chun Susan Yang, 2009. "Government Investment and Fiscal Stimulus in the Short and Long Runs," NBER Working Papers 15153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coenen, Günter & Straub, Roland & Trabandt, Mathias, 2012.
"Fiscal policy and the 'Great Recession' in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1429, European Central Bank.
- Gunter Coenen & Roland Straub & Mathias Trabandt, 2012. "Fiscal Policy and the Great Recession in the Euro Area," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 71-76, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:aecrev:v:102:y:2012:i:3:p:71-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros)or (Michael P. Albert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.