A simple variable selection technique for nonlinear models
AbstractApplying nonparametric variable selection criteria in nonlinear regression models generally requires a substantial computational effort if the data set is large. In this paper we present a selection technique that is computationally much less demanding and performs well in comparison with methods currently available. It is based on a Taylor expansion of the nonlinear model around a given point in the sample space. Performing the selection only requires repeated least squares estimation of models that are linear in parameters. The main limitation of the method is that the number of variables among which to select cannot be very large if the sample is small and an adequate Taylor expansion is of high order. Large samples can be handled without problems. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes in its series SFB 373 Discussion Papers with number 1999,26.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
nonlinear regression; Autoregression; nonlinear time series; nonparametric variable selection; time series modelling;
Other versions of this item:
- Rech, Gianluigi & Teräsvirta, Timo & Tschernig, Rolf, 1999. "A simple variable selection technique for nonlinear models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 296, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 06 Apr 2000.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcelo C. Medeiros & Alvaro Veiga, 2003.
"Diagnostic Checking in a Flexible Nonlinear Time Series Model,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 461-482, 07.
- Medeiros, Marcelo & Veiga, Alvaro, 2000. "Diagnostic Checking in a Flexible Nonlinear Time Series Model," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 386, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 Jan 2001.
- Marcelo Cunha Medeiros & Álvaro Veiga & Carlos Eduardo Pedreira, 2000. "Modelling exchange rates: smooth transitions, neural networks, and linear models," Textos para discussÃ£o 432, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Marie Lebreton & Katia Melnik, 2009. "Voluntary Participation as a Determinant of Social Capital in France : Allowing for Parameter Heterogeneity," Working Papers halshs-00410530, HAL.
- Barrera, Carlos R., 2010. "Redes neuronales para predecir el tipo de cambio diario," Working Papers 2010-001, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Medeiros, Marcelo & Veiga, Alvaro, 2000. "A Flexible Coefficient Smooth Transition Time Series Model," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 360, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 10 Feb 2000.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.