Nonparametric Estimation of Generalized Impulse Response Functions
AbstractWe derive a local linear estimator of generalized impulse response (GIR) functions for nonlinear conditional heteroskedastic autoregressive processes and show its asymptotic normality. We suggest a plug-in bandwidth based on the derived asymptotically optimal bandwidth. A local linear estimator for the conditional variance function is proposed which has simpler bias than the standard estimator. This is achieved by appropriately eliminating the conditional mean. Alternatively to the direct local linear estimators of the k-step prediction functions which enter the GIR estimator we suggest to use multi-stage prediction techniques. In a small simulation experiment the latter estimator is found to perform best.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 1417.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tschernig, Rolf & Yang, Lijian, 2000. "Nonparametric estimation of generalized impulse response function," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,89, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & H. LÜTKEPOHL & R. CHEN, 1996. "A Review of Nonparametric Time Series Analysis," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,48, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- CHEN, Rong & YANG, Lijian & HAFNER, Christian, .
"Nonparametric multistep-ahead prediction in time series analysis,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1783, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rong Chen & Lijian Yang & Christian Hafner, 2004. "Nonparametric multistep-ahead prediction in time series analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(3), pages 669-686.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
- Yao, Qiwei & Tong, Howell, 1994. "On subset selection in non-parametric stochastic regression," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & A. TSYBAKOV, 1995.
"Local Polynomial Estimators of the Volatility Function in Nonparametric Autoregression,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1995,42, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hardle, W. & Tsybakov, A., 1997. "Local polynomial estimators of the volatility function in nonparametric autoregression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 223-242, November.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & A. TSYBAKOV & L. YANG, 1996. "Nonparametric Vector Autoregression," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,61, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- L. Yang & R. Tschernig, 1999. "Multivariate bandwidth selection for local linear regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(4), pages 793-815.
- Masry, Elias & Tjøstheim, Dag, 1995. "Nonparametric Estimation and Identification of Nonlinear ARCH Time Series Strong Convergence and Asymptotic Normality: Strong Convergence and Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 258-289, February.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.