An Approximate Wavelet MLE of Short and Long Memory Parameters
AbstractBy design a wavelet's strength rests in its ability to simultaneously localize a process in time-scale space. The wavelet's ability to localize a time series in time-scale space directly leads to the computational efficiency of the wavelet representation of a N X N matrix operator by allowing the N largest elements of the wavelet represented operator to adequately represent the matrix operator. This property allos many dense matrices to have sparse representation when transformed by wavelets. In this paper we generalize the long-memory parameter estimator of McCoy and Walden (1996) to simultaneously estaimte short and long-memory parameters. Using the sparse wavelet representation of a matrix operator, we are able to adequately approximate an ARFIMA models likelihood function with the series wavelet coefficients and their variances. Maximization of this approximate likelihood function over the short and long-memory parameter space results in the approximate wavelet maximum likelihood estimator of the ARFIMA model. By simultaneously maximizing the likelihood function over both the short and long-memory parameters, and using only the wavelet coefficient's variances, the approximate wavelet MLE provides an equally fast alternative to the frequency-domain MLE. Futhermore, the simulation studies reveal the approximate wavelet MLE to be robust over the invertible parameter region of the ARFIMA model's moving average parameter, whereas the frequency-domain MLE dramatically deteriorates as the moving average parameter approaches the boundaries of invertibility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 9802003.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 16 Feb 1998
Date of revision: 21 Jun 1999
Note: Type of Document - PostScript; prepared on LaTeX Sun Ultra 1; to print on PostScript; pages: 23 ; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Long Memory; Fractional Integration; ARFIMA; Wavelets;
Other versions of this item:
- Jensen Mark J., 1999. "An Approximate Wavelet MLE of Short- and Long-Memory Parameters," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 1-17, January.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1999. "An Approximate Wavelet MLE of Short- and Long-Memory Parameters," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1243, Society for Computational Economics.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-1998-10-02 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-1998-10-02 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Diebold, Francis X., 1994.
"On maximum likelihood estimation of the differencing parameter of fractionally-integrated noise with unknown mean,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 301-316, June.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Francis X. Diebold, 1993. "On maximum-likelihood estimation of the differencing parameter of fractionally integrated noise with unknown mean," Working Papers 93-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Francis X. Diebold, 1990. "On maximum-likelihood estimation of the differencing parameter of fractionally integrated noise with unknown mean," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 34, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ramsey, James B. & Zhang, Zhifeng, 1997. "The analysis of foreign exchange data using waveform dictionaries," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 341-372, December.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Ramsey James B. & Lampart Camille, 1998. "The Decomposition of Economic Relationships by Time Scale Using Wavelets: Expenditure and Income," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, April.
- David K. Backus & Stanley E. Zin, 1993.
"Long-memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0133, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Backus, David K & Zin, Stanley E, 1993. "Long-Memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 681-700, August.
- David K. Backus & Stanley E. Zin, 1993. "Long-memory inflation uncertainty: evidence from the term structure of interest rates," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 681-708.
- David K. Backus, 1993. "Long-Memory Inflation Uncertainty: Evidence from the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Working Papers 93-04, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Hassler, Uwe & Wolters, Jurgen, 1995. "Long Memory in Inflation Rates: International Evidence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 37-45, January.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1994.
" Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 737-45, June.
- Baillie, R.T. & Bollerslev, T., 1993. "Cointegration, Fractional Cointegration, and Exchange RAte Dynamics," Papers 9103, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989.
"Long-term memory in stock market prices,"
3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997.
"An Alternative Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Long-Memeory Processes Using Compactly Supported Wavelets,"
- Jensen, Mark J., 2000. "An alternative maximum likelihood estimator of long-memory processes using compactly supported wavelets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 361-387, March.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 1993. "Long Memory in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997.
"Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter,"
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999. "Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter," MPRA Paper 39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baillie, Richard T & Chung, Ching-Fan & Tieslau, Margie A, 1996. "Analysing Inflation by the Fractionally Integrated ARFIMA-GARCH Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, Jan.-Feb..
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1989.
"Is consumption too smooth? Long memory and the Deaton paradox,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, Francis X & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1991. "Is Consumption Too Smooth? Long Memory and the Deaton Paradox," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 1-9, February.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Modeling long-run behavior with the fractional ARIMA model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-302, April.
- In, Francis & Kim, Sangbae, 2006. "Multiscale hedge ratio between the Australian stock and futures markets: Evidence from wavelet analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 411-423, October.
- Brandon Whitcher, 2000. "Wavelet-Based Estimation Procedures For Seasonal Long-Memory Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 148, Society for Computational Economics.
- Morten �rregaard Nielsen & Per Houmann Frederiksen, 2005.
"Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 405-443.
- Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & Per Frederiksen, 2005. "Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration," Working Papers 1189, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Charfeddine, Lanouar & Guégan, Dominique, 2012.
"Breaks or long memory behavior: An empirical investigation,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 391(22), pages 5712-5726.
- Lanouar Charfeddine & Dominique Guegan, 2009. "Breaks or long memory behaviour : An empirical investigation," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09022, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.