An alternative maximum likelihood estimator of long-memory processes using compactly supported wavelets
AbstractIn this paper we apply compactly supported wavelets to the ARFIMA(p,d,q) long-memory process to develop an alternative maximum likelihood estimator of the differencing parameter, d, that is invariant to the unknown mean and model specification, and to the level of contamination. We show that this class of time series have wavelet transforms who's covariance matrix is sparse when the wavelet is compactly supported. It is shown that the sparse covariance matrix can be approximated to a high level of precision by a matix equal to the covariance amtrix except with the off-diagonal elements set to zero. This diagonal matrix is shown to reduce the order of calculating the likelihood function to an order smaller than those associated with the exact MLE method. We test the robustness of the wavelet MLE of the fractional differencing parameter to a variety of compactly supported wavelets, series length, and contamination by generating ARFIMA(p,d,q) processes for different values of p, d, and q and calculating the wavelet MLE estimate using only the main diagonal elements of its covariance matrix. In our simulations we find the wavelet MLE to be superior to the approximate MLE when estimating contaminated ARFIMA(0,d,0), and uncontaminated ARFIMA(1,d,0) and ARFIMA(0,d,1) processes except when the MA parameter is close to one. We also find the wavelet MLE to be robust to model specification and as such is an attractive alternative semiparametric estimator to the Geweke-Hudak estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 24 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Other versions of this item:
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997. "An Alternative Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Long-Memeory Processes Using Compactly Supported Wavelets," Econometrics 9709002, EconWPA.
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Francis X. Diebold, 1990.
"On maximum-likelihood estimation of the differencing parameter of fractionally integrated noise with unknown mean,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
34, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Diebold, Francis X., 1994. "On maximum likelihood estimation of the differencing parameter of fractionally-integrated noise with unknown mean," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 301-316, June.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Francis X. Diebold, 1993. "On maximum-likelihood estimation of the differencing parameter of fractionally integrated noise with unknown mean," Working Papers 93-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1997.
"Using Wavelets to Obtain a Consistent Ordinary Least Squares Estimator of the Long Memory Parameter,"
- Jensen, Mark J, 1999. "Using wavelets to obtain a consistent ordinary least squares estimator of the long-memory parameter," MPRA Paper 39152, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C. M. Schmidt & R. Tschernig, 1995. "The Identification of Fractional ARIMA Models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,8, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1995-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alex Maynard & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2001. "Rethinking an old empirical puzzle: econometric evidence on the forward discount anomaly," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 671-708.
- Tieslau, Margie A. & Schmidt, Peter & Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "A minimum distance estimator for long-memory processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 249-264.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1999.
"An Approximate Wavelet MLE of Short- and Long-Memory Parameters,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
1243, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jensen Mark J., 1999. "An Approximate Wavelet MLE of Short- and Long-Memory Parameters," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 1-17, January.
- Mark J. Jensen, 1998. "An Approximate Wavelet MLE of Short and Long Memory Parameters," Econometrics 9802003, EconWPA, revised 21 Jun 1999.
- In, Francis & Kim, Sangbae, 2006. "Multiscale hedge ratio between the Australian stock and futures markets: Evidence from wavelet analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 411-423, October.
- In, Francis & Kim, Sangbae, 2007. "A note on the relationship between Fama-French risk factors and innovations of ICAPM state variables," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 165-171, September.
- Carla Ysusi, 2009. "Analysis of the Dynamics of Mexican Inflation Using Wavelets," Working Papers 2009-09, Banco de México.
- In, Francis & Kim, Sangbae & Gençay, Ramazan, 2011. "Investment horizon effect on asset allocation between value and growth strategies," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1489-1497, July.
- Haven, Emmanuel & Liu, Xiaoquan & Shen, Liya, 2012. "De-noising option prices with the wavelet method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(1), pages 104-112.
- Collet J.J. & Fadili J.M., 2005. "Simulation of Gegenbauer processes using wavelet packets," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 190, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Patrick Crowley, 2005.
"An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists,"
- Vuorenmaa , Tommi, 2005. "A wavelet analysis of scaling laws and long-memory in stock market volatility," Research Discussion Papers 27/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Jin Lee, 2000. "One-Sided Testing for ARCH Effect Using Wavelets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1214, Econometric Society.
- Tan, Pei P. & Galagedera, Don U.A. & Maharaj, Elizabeth A., 2012. "A wavelet based investigation of long memory in stock returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(7), pages 2330-2341.
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2010. "Commodity futures and market efficiency: A fractional integrated approach," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 276-282, December.
- SangKun Bae & Mark J. Jensen, 1998. "Long-Run Neutrality in a Long-Memory Model," Macroeconomics 9809006, EconWPA, revised 30 Sep 1998.
- Bae, Sang-Kun & Jensen, Mark J. & Murdock, Scott G., 2005. "Long-run neutrality in a fractionally integrated model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 257-274, June.
- Ozun, Alper & Cifter, Atilla, 2007.
"Modeling Long-Term Memory Effect in Stock Prices: A Comparative Analysis with GPH Test and Daubechies Wavelets,"
2481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alper Ozun & Atilla Cifter, 2008. "Modeling long-term memory effect in stock prices: A comparative analysis with GPH test and Daubechies wavelets," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 38-48, March.
- Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & Per Frederiksen, 2005.
"Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration,"
1189, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Morten �rregaard Nielsen & Per Houmann Frederiksen, 2005. "Finite Sample Comparison of Parametric, Semiparametric, and Wavelet Estimators of Fractional Integration," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 405-443.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.