Giga-Investments: Modelling the Valuation of Very Large Industrial Real Investments
AbstractIn this doctoral dissertation characteristics of very large industrial real investments (VLIRI) are investigated and a special group of VLIRI is defined as giga-investments. The investment decision-making regarding to giga-investments is discussed from the points of view of discounted cash-flow based methods and real option valuation. Based on the bacground of establishing giga-investments, state-of-the-art in capital budgeting (including real options) and by applying fuzzy numbers a novel method for the evaluation and profitability analysis of giga-investments is presented. Application of the method is illustrated and issues regarding investment decision-making of large industrial real investments are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4328.
Date of creation: Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Real Options; Fuzzy Real Option Valuation; Giga-Investments; Very Large Industrial Real Investments; Dissertation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Y40 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Dissertations - - - Dissertations
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- Y4 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Dissertations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengtsson, Jens, 2001. "Manufacturing flexibility and real options: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-3), pages 213-224, December.
- Keppo, Jussi & Lu, Hao, 2003. "Real options and a large producer: the case of electricity markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 459-472, September.
- Derek Bunn & George Wright, 1991. "Interaction of Judgemental and Statistical Forecasting Methods: Issues & Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(5), pages 501-518, May.
- Cox, John C & Ross, Stephen A, 1976. "A Survey of Some New Results in Financial Option Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 383-402, May.
- Boyle, Phelim P., 1988. "A Lattice Framework for Option Pricing with Two State Variables," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 1-12, March.
- Kulatilaka, Nalin & Marks, Stephen Gary, 1988. "The Strategic Value of Flexibility: Reducing the Ability to Compromise," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 574-80, June.
- Kleijnen, Jack P. C., 2005.
"An overview of the design and analysis of simulation experiments for sensitivity analysis,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 287-300, July.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C., 2004. "An Overview of the Design and Analysis of Simulation Experiments for Sensitivity Analysis," Discussion Paper 2004-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Collan, Mikael, 2004. "Fuzzy Real Investment Valuation Model for Giga-Investments, and a Note on Giga-Investment Lifecycle and Valuation," MPRA Paper 4329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Majd, Saman & Pindyck, Robert S., 1987.
"Time to build, option value, and investment decisions,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 7-27, March.
- Saman Majd & Robert S. Pindyck, 1987. "Time to Build, Option Value, and Investment Decisions," NBER Working Papers 1654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Bradford L. BARHAM & Jean-Paul CHAVAS & Richard M. KLEMME, 1994.
"Low Capital Dairy Strategies In Wisconsin: Lessons From A New Approach To Measuring Profitability,"
381, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- Bradford L. Barham & Jean-Paul Chavas & Richard M. Klemme, 1994. "Low Capital Dairy Strategies in Wisconsin: Lessons from a New Approach to Measuring Profitability," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 381, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1977. "The Valuation of American Put Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 449-62, May.
- Dayananda,Don & Irons,Richard & Harrison,Steve & Herbohn,John & Rowland,Patrick, 2002. "Capital Budgeting," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521520980.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli & Swary, Itzhak, 1996. "Investor valuation of the abandonment option," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 257-287, October.
- Dayananda,Don & Irons,Richard & Harrison,Steve & Herbohn,John & Rowland,Patrick, 2002. "Capital Budgeting," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521817820.
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Eduardo S. Schwartz & Marcelo Salinas, 1998. "Evaluating Environmental Investments: A Real Options Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(8), pages 1059-1070, August.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- JS Armstrong & Michael C. Grohman, 2004.
"A Comparative Study of Methods for Long-Range Market Forecasting,"
General Economics and Teaching
- J. Scott Armstrong & Michael C. Grohman, 1972. "A Comparative Study of Methods for Long-Range Market Forecasting," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(2), pages 211-221, October.
- Collan, Mikael & Långström, Stefan, 2002. "Flexibility in Investments: Exploratory Survey on How Finnish Companies Deal with Flexibility in Capital Budgeting," MPRA Paper 4350, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaume Masoliver & Miquel Montero & Josep M. Porra, 2000.
"A dynamical model describing stock market price distributions,"
- Masoliver, Jaume & Montero, Miquel & Porrà, Josep M, 2000. "A dynamical model describing stock market price distributions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 283(3), pages 559-567.
- Cortazar, Gonzalo & Casassus, Jaime, 1998. "Optimal Timing of a Mine Expansion: Implementing a Real Options Model," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 755-769.
- Andricopoulos, Ari D. & Widdicks, Martin & Duck, Peter W. & Newton, David P., 2003. "Universal option valuation using quadrature methods," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 447-471, March.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Brick, John R. & Thompson, Howard E., 1978. "The Economic Life of an Investment and the Appropriate Discount Rate," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 831-846, December.
- Richard F. Hespos & Paul A. Strassmann, 1965. "Stochastic Decision Trees for the Analysis of Investment Decisions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(10), pages B244-B259, August.
- Garner, Jacqueline L. & Nam, Jouahn & Ottoo, Richard E., 2002. "Determinants of corporate growth opportunities of emerging firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 73-93.
- Fernandez, Pablo, 2003. "75 common and uncommon errors in company valuation," IESE Research Papers Db/515, IESE Business School.
- Corker, R. J. & Holly, S. & Ellis, R. G., 1986. "Uncertainty and forecast precision," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 53-53.
- Collan, Mikael & Liu, Shuhua, 2002. "Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Agents: Towards the Next Step of Capital Budgeting Decision Support," Working Papers 398, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
- Kent D Miller, 1992. "A Framework for Integrated Risk Management in International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 311-331, June.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- George T. Milkovich & Anthony J. Annoni & Thomas A. Mahoney, 1972. "The Use of the Delphi Procedures in Manpower Forecasting," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4-Part-1), pages 381-388, December.
- Caves, R E & Gale, B T & Porter, M E, 1977. "Interfirm Profitability Differences: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(4), pages 667-75, November.
- Alvarez, Luis H. R., 1999. "Optimal exit and valuation under demand uncertainty: A real options approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 320-329, April.
- Dyl, Edward A & Long, Hugh W, 1969. "Abandonment Value and Capital Budgeting: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(1), pages 88-95, March.
- Borgonovo, E. & Peccati, L., 2004. "Sensitivity analysis in investment project evaluation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 17-25, July.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1978. "Finite Difference Methods and Jump Processes Arising in the Pricing of Contingent Claims: A Synthesis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 461-474, September.
- Jean-Pierre Fouque & Tracey Andrew Tullie, 2002. "Variance reduction for Monte Carlo simulation in a stochastic volatility environment," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 24-30.
- Collan, Mikael, 2008. "New Method for Real Option Valuation Using Fuzzy Numbers," Working Papers 466, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
- Collan, Mikael & Fullér, Robert & József, Mezei, 2008. "A Fuzzy Pay-off Method for Real Option Valuation," MPRA Paper 13601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.