Low Capital Dairy Strategies In Wisconsin: Lessons From A New Approach To Measuring Profitability
AbstractThis paper proposes a new way to evaluate the role of profitability and risk in the dairy industry, one that incorporates the effects of uncertainty about future returns when investments are irreversible, or sunk. The usefulness of this new approach is demonstrated by the light it sheds on recent attempts by Wisconsin dairy farmers to develop low capital investment strategies and why these initiatives might be crucial to the vitality of the state's industry as a whole. The value of this paper, however, reaches beyond the contribution it offers to comparisons of the viability of alternative investment strategies in dairy, because it is applicable to evaluating profitability and risk in any economic activity, inside or outside of agriculture, where much of the investment is irreversible and uncertainty about future returns is important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE in its series Staff Papers with number 381.
Date of creation: Oct 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Wisconsin, Dept. of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 427 Lorch Street, Madison, WI 53706
Web page: http://www.aae.wisc.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Bradford L. Barham & Jean-Paul Chavas & Richard M. Klemme, 1994. "Low Capital Dairy Strategies in Wisconsin: Lessons from a New Approach to Measuring Profitability," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 381, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 1999. "Technology Adoption Decisions In Dairy Production And The Role Of Herd Expansion," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(1), April.
- Prelipcean Gabriela & Boscoianu Mircea & Lupan Mariana, 2009. "New Aspects Regarding The Evaluation Of Investments In Critical Infrastructure," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 2(1), pages 522-527, May.
- Collan, Mikael, 2004. "Fuzzy Real Investment Valuation Model for Giga-Investments, and a Note on Giga-Investment Lifecycle and Valuation," MPRA Paper 4329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Collan, Mikael, 2004. "Giga-Investments: Modelling the Valuation of Very Large Industrial Real Investments," MPRA Paper 4328, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.