Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Agents: Towards the Next Step of Capital Budgeting Decision Support
AbstractThe economic life of large investments is long and thus necessitates constant dynamic managerial actions. To be able to act in an optimal way in the dynamic management of large investments managers need the support of advanced analytical tools. They need to have constant access to information about the real time situation of the investment, as well as, access to up-to-date information about changes in the business environment. What is more challenging, they need to integrate qualitative information into quantitative analysis process, and to integrate foresight information into the capital budgeting process. In this paper we will look at how emerging soft computing technologies, specifically fuzzy logic and intelligent agents, will help to provide a better support in such a context and then to frame a support system that will make an integrated application of the aforementioned technologies. We will first develop a holistic framework for an agent-facilitated capital budgeting system using a fuzzy real option approach. We will then discuss how intelligent agents can be applied to collect decision information, both qualitative and quantitative, and to facilitate the integration of foresight information into capital budgeting process. Integration of qualitative information into quantitative analysis process will be discussed. Methods for integrating qualitative and quantitative information into fuzzy numbers, as well as, methods for using the fuzzy numbers in capital budgeting will be presented. A specification of how the agents can be constructed is elaborated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IAMSR, Åbo Akademi in its series Working Papers with number 398.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://iamsr.abo.fi/
Intelligent Agents; Fuzzy Sets; Capital Budgeting; Real Options; DSS;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tétard, Franck & Patokorpi, Erkki & Carlsson, Joanna, 2008. "A Conceptual Framework for Mobile Learning," Working Papers 464, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
- Georgescu, Irina, 2008. "Revealed Preference Indicators for Fuzzy Choice Functions," Working Papers 475, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
- Liu, Shuhua, 2004. "Theory and Methods on Text Summarization," Working Papers 474, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
- Lindholm, Christer K. & Liu, Shuhua, 2003. "Fuzzy Clustering Analysis of the Early Warning Signs of Financial Crisis," Working Papers 472, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
- Rossi De Mio, Ruggero, 2003. "Emotional Intelligence in Virtual and Face-to-Face Communication: A Pilot Laboratory Experiment," Working Papers 473, IAMSR, Åbo Akademi.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mikael Collan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.