REAL Exchange Rate Misalignment and Economic Performance of WEST AFRICAN MONETARY ZONE:Implications for macroeconomic unionisation
AbstractThe study assessed the real exchange rate misalignment and economic performance of WAMZ economies to determine its implications on economic unionization. The study uses Generalised Method of Moment of Dynamic Panel Estimation Method and supported with Cross Country Correlation Approach which comprises Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone covering the period from 2000 commencement of the zone to 2010 from international financial statistics of international monetary fund. The study discovered that the zone experiences asymmetrical correlations between real exchange rate misalignment and economic performance while the inclusion of equilibrium real exchange rate revealed a symmetrical relationship with economic performance. Further revelation in the study happened to be the cross country correlations which unveiled that four countries emerged to have a moderate degree of symmetrical relationship using some macroeconomic variables such real exchange rate, misaligned real exchange rate, openness, inflation and output. The study concluded by admonishing the zone to commence with four promising economies such as a Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37385.
Date of creation: 15 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
WAMZ; misalignment real exchange rate; currency union;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2012-03-28 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2012-03-28 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2012-03-28 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ofair Razin & Susan M. Collins, 1997. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments and Growth," NBER Working Papers 6174, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Houssa, Romain, 2008.
"Monetary union in West Africa and asymmetric shocks: A dynamic structural factor model approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 319-347, February.
- Romain Houssa, 2004. "Monetary Union in West Africa and Asymmetric Shocks: A Dynamic Structural Factor Model Approach," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-17, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Romain Houssa, 2004. "Monetary Union in West Africa and Asymmetric Shocks: A Dynamic Structural Factor Model Approach," Development and Comp Systems 0409063, EconWPA.
- Paul Alagidede & George Tweneboah & Anokye M. Adam, 2008. "Nominal Exchange Rates and Price Convergence in the West African Monetary Zone," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 7(3), pages 181-198, December.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Steven K. Buigut & Neven T. Valev, 2006.
"Eastern and Southern Africa Monetary Integration: A Structural Vector Autoregression Analysis,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 586-603, November.
- Steven K. Buigut & Neven Valev, 2005. "Eastern and Southern Africa Monetary Integration: A Structural Vector Autoregression Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0504, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- repec:ags:hiiedp:26257 is not listed on IDEAS
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2009. "Determinants of West African Monetary Zone (WAMZ)countries global export trade: do foreign reserves and independent exchange rates matter?," MPRA Paper 12929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Foresti, Pasquale, 2007. "Is Latin America an Optimal Currency Area? Evidence from a Structural Vector Auto-regression analysis," MPRA Paper 2961, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2008.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2007. "Monetary policy and economic performance of West African Monetary Zone Countries," MPRA Paper 4308, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jayaraman, Tiru K. & Ward , Bert D., 2006. "A Single Currency for Pacific Island Countries: An SVAR Analysis," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 59(1), pages 83-111.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.