Is Latin America an Optimal Currency Area? Evidence from a Structural Vector Auto-regression analysis
AbstractThis paper evaluates the advisability of a monetary union in Latin America applying the theory of optimum currency areas (OCA). The analysis, based on the traditional OCA criteria, suggests that there is no evidence for any monetary integration in Latin America, even at a sub-regional level. Latin American countries have evidenced a low degree of trade integration and asymmetric co-movements among their shocks. Moreover, important differences in the speed of adjustment and size of shocks are found. Higher policy coordination seems to be necessary before starting any economic integration process in Latin America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 2961.
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision: Apr 2008
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F0 - International Economics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bayoumi, T. & Eichengreen, B., 1994. "One Money or Many? Analysing the Prospects for Monetary Unification in Various Parts of the World," Princeton Studies in International Economics 76, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Barro, Robert & Alesina, Alberto, 2002.
4551795, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Larrain Felipe & Jose Tavares, 2003. "Regional Currencies Versus Dollarization: Options for Asia and the Americas," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 35-49.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
NBER Working Papers
3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M.J. Artis, 2003.
"Reflections on the optimal currency area (OCA) criteria in the light of EMU,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 297-307.
- M.J. Artis, 2002. "Reflections on the Optimal Currency Area (oca) Criteria in the Light of EMU," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 193, Central Bank of Chile.
- Eduardo Levy & Federico Sturzenegger, 2000. "Is EMU a Blueprint for Mercosur?," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 37(110), pages 63-99.
- Zhaoyong Zhang & Kiyotaka Sato & Michael McAleer, 2003.
"Asian Monetary Integration: A Structural VAR Approach,"
CIRJE-F-212, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Zhang, Zhaoyong & Sato, Kiyotaka & McAleer, Michael, 2004. "Asian monetary integration: a structural VAR approach," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 447-458.
- Ralf Kronberger, 2004. "A Cost-Benefit Analysis of a Monetary Union for MERCOSUR with Particular Emphasis on the Optimum Currency Area Theory?," Macroeconomics 0407010, EconWPA.
- Garcia Rocabado, Daniel, 2010. "The road to monetary union in Latin America: An EMS-type fixed exchange rate system as an intermediate step," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 85, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Raji, Rahman Olanrewaju, 2012. "REAL Exchange Rate Misalignment and Economic Performance of WEST AFRICAN MONETARY ZONE:Implications for macroeconomic unionisation," MPRA Paper 37385, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 2010. "A Comparison of Monetary Anchor Options, Including Product Price Targeting, for Commodity-Exporters in Latin America," NBER Working Papers 16362, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.