On Price Taking Behavior in a Nonrenewable Resource Cartel-Fringe Game
AbstractWe consider a nonrenewable resource game with one cartel and a set of fringe members. We show that (i) the outcomes of the closed-loop and the open-loop nonrenewable resource game with the fringe members as price takers (the cartel-fringe game à la Salant 1976) coincide and (ii) when the number of fringe firms becomes arbitrarily large, the equilibrium outcome of the closed-loop Nash game does not coincide with the equilibrium outcome of the closed-loop cartel-fringe game. Thus, the outcome of the cartel-fringe open-loop equilibrium can be supported as an outcome of a subgame perfect equilibrium. However the interpretation of the cartel-fringe model, where from the outset the fringe is assumed to be price-taker, as a limit case of an asymmetric oligopoly with the agents playing Nash-Cournot, does not extend to the case where firms can use closed-loop strategies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 11-2010.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C.P. 6128, Succ. centre-ville, Montréal (PQ) H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6557
Fax: (514) 343-7221
Web page: http://www.cireq.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
cartel-fringe; dominant firm versus fringe; price taking; nonrenewable resources; dynamic games; open-loop versus closed-loop strategies;
Other versions of this item:
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Withagen, Cees, 2012. "On price taking behavior in a nonrenewable resource cartel–fringe game," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 355-374.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Cees Withagen, 2012. "On Price Taking Behaviour in a Non-renewable Resource Cartel-Fringe Game," OxCarre Working Papers 080, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Cees Withagen, 2010. "On Price Taking Behavior In A Nonrenewable Resource Cartel-Fringe Game," Departmental Working Papers 2010-02, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- Q30 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Nonrenewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-10-30 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2010-10-30 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Groot, A.M. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & Zeeuw, A.J. de, 1996.
"Strong Time-Consistency in the Cartel-versus-Fringe Model,"
1996-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Groot, Fons & Withagen, Cees & de Zeeuw, Aart, 2003. "Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 287-306, November.
- Groot, F. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & Zeeuw, A.J. de, 2003. "Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-117032, Tilburg University.
- Lewis, Tracy R. & Schmalensee, Richard., 1979.
"On oligopolistic markets for nonrenewable natural resources,"
1052-79., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Schmalensee, Richard, 1980. "On Oligopolistic Markets for Nonrenewable Natural Resources," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 475-91, November.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Levine, David K., 1988. "Open-loop and closed-loop equilibria in dynamic games with many players," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1976. "Exhaustible Resources and Industrial Structure: A Nash-Cournot Approach to the World Oil Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1079-93, October.
- BENCHEKROUN, Hassan & HALSEMA, Alex & WITHAGEN, Cees, 2008.
"On Nonrenewable Resource Oligopolies : The Asymmetric Case,"
Cahiers de recherche
13-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Halsema, Alex & Withagen, Cees, 2009. "On nonrenewable resource oligopolies: The asymmetric case," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1867-1879, November.
- Rick van der Ploeg & Cees Withagen, 2010.
"Is There Really a Green Paradox?,"
OxCarre Working Papers
035, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Frederick Van der Ploeg & Cees A. Withagen, 2010. "Is There Really a Green Paradox?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2963, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Cees Withagen, 2010. "Is there really a Green Paradox?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-020/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 27 Aug 2012.
- Kemp, Murray C & Long, Ngo Van, 1980. "On Two Folk Theorems Concerning the Extraction of Exhaustible Resources," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 663-73, April.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, September.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1986. "A Theory of 'Oil'igopoly: Cournot Equilibrium in Exhaustible Resource Markets with Fixed Supplies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(2), pages 285-301, June.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2008.
"Public policies against global warming: A supply side approach,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19638, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2008. "Public policies against global warming: a supply side approach," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 360-394, August.
- Groot, Fons & Withagen, Cees & de Zeeuw, Aart, 1992.
"Note on the Open-Loop von Stackelberg Equilibrium in the Cartel versus Fringe Model,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1478-84, November.
- Groot, F. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & Zeeuw, A.J. de, 1992. "Note on the open-loop von Stackelberg equilibrium in the cartel versus fringe model," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-377500, Tilburg University.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 1988. "Open and Closed-Loop Equilibria in Dynamic Games With Many Players," Levine's Working Paper Archive 221, David K. Levine.
- Richard J. Gilbert, 1978. "Dominant Firm Pricing Policy in a Market for an Exhaustible Resource," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 385-395, Autumn.
- Salo, Seppo & Tahvonen, Olli, 2001. "Oligopoly equilibria in nonrenewable resource markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 671-702, May.
- CHAKRAVORTY Ujjayant & MOREAUX Michel & TIDBALL Mabel, 2006.
"Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources,"
LERNA Working Papers
06.19.212, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Michel Moreaux & Mabel Tidball, 2008. "Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 1128-44, June.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Moreaux, Michel & Tidball, Mabel, 2006. "Ordering the Extraction of Polluting Nonrenewable Resources," IDEI Working Papers 415, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Mukesh Eswaran & Tracy Lewis, 1985. "Exhaustible Resources and Alternative Equilibrium Concepts," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 459-73, August.
- Michael Hoel, 2008. "Bush Meets Hotelling: Effects of Improved Renewable Energy Technology on Greenhouse Gas Emissions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2492, CESifo Group Munich.
- A. M. Ulph & G. M. Folie, 1980. "Exhaustible Resources and Cartels: An Intertemporal Nash-Cournot Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(4), pages 645-58, November.
- Novshek, William & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1980. "Small efficient scale as a foundation for Walrasian equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 243-255, April.
- Roberts, Kevin, 1980. "The limit points of monopolistic competition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 256-278, April.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329, April.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Tom Kompas & Ngo Van Long, 2010. "Biofuels Subsidies and the Green Paradox," CESifo Working Paper Series 2960, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Moreaux, Michel & Salant, Stephen W., 2002.
"Private Storage of Common Property,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 280-302, March.
- Gaudet, G. & Moreaux, M. & Salant, S.W., 1997. "Private Storage of Common Property," Papers 97-08, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- GAUDET, Gérard & MOREAUX, Michel & SALANT, Stephen W., 1997. "Private Storage of Common Property," Cahiers de recherche 9704, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hartwick, John M. & Brolley, Michael, 2008.
"The quadratic oil extraction oligopoly,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 568-577, December.
- Newbery, David M G, 1981. "Oil Prices, Cartels, and the Problem of Dynamic Inconsistency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(363), pages 617-46, September.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F & Stokey, Nancy L, 1985. "Oligopoly Extraction of a Common Property Natural Resource: The Importance of the Period of Commitment in Dynamic Games," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(1), pages 161-73, February.
- Kicsiny, R. & Varga, Z. & Scarelli, A., 2014. "Backward induction algorithm for a class of closed-loop Stackelberg games," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 237(3), pages 1021-1036.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.