Are bank loans still “special” (especially during a crisis)? Empirical evidence from a European country
AbstractWe investigate bank loans’ specialness with a particular focus on the recent boom and bust cycle. We perform an empirical analysis using event study methodology on a sample of 253 large loan announcements for French borrowers between January 2000 and December 2009. We find a significant and negative reaction to bank loan announcements which is mostly driven by loan provided during the crisis period. We also document significant changes in bank behavior over the boom and bust cycle, with important contractual and organizational modifications reflecting a potential “wake-up call” of banks during the crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center with number 2012-03.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 61, Avenue de la Forêt Noire, F-67085 Strasbourg Cedex
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large
More information through EDIRC
Bank loans; boom and bust; crisis; event study; Europe.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-02-27 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2012-02-27 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-02-27 (Microeconomic European Issues)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen A. Ross, 1977. "The Determination of Financial Structure: The Incentive-Signalling Approach," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 23-40, Spring.
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Udell, Gregory F., 2001.
"The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2656, The World Bank.
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Udell, Gregory F., 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2127-2167, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Leora F. Klapper & Gregory F. Udell, 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Leora F. Klapper & Gegory F. Udell, 2001. "The ability of banks to lend to informationally opaque small businesses," Proceedings 709, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Dell’Ariccia, G. & Igan, D. & Laeven, L., 2009.
"Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market,"
2009-46 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Giovanni Dell’Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2012. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 367-384, 03.
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From The Subprime Mortgage Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 6683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benjamin J. Keys & Tanmoy Mukherjee & Amit Seru & Vikrant Vig, 2010. "Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(1), pages 307-362, February.
- Bailey, Warren & Huang, Wei & Yang, Zhishu, 2011. "Bank Loans with Chinese Characteristics: Some Evidence on Inside Debt in a State-Controlled Banking System," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(06), pages 1795-1830, December.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2010.
"The crisis as a wake-up call. Do banks tighten screening and monitoring during a financial crisis?,"
DNB Working Papers
255, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Horen, Neeltje, 2009. "The strategic behavior of banks during a financial crisis; evidence from the syndicated loan market," MPRA Paper 14164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ralph de Haas & Neeltje van Horen, 2010. "The crisis as a wake-up call: do banks tighten screening and monitoring during a financial crisis?," Working Papers 117, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Godlewski, Christophe J. & Fungacova, Zuzana & Weill, Laurent, 2010.
"Stock market reaction to debt financing arrangements in Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
16/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Christophe Godlewski & Zuzana Fung�čov� & Laurent Weill, 2011. "Stock Market Reaction to Debt Financing Arrangements in Russia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(4), pages 679-693, December.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Zuzana Fungacova & Laurent Weill, 2010. "Stock market reaction to debt financing arrangements in Russia," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-10, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Brei, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & von Peter, Goetz, 2013.
"Rescue packages and bank lending,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 490-505.
- Christophe Godlewski, 2009. "L’organisation des syndicats bancaires en France:taille, concentration et réputation," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 12(3), pages 37-63, September.
- Zuzana FungÃ¡ÄovÃ¡ & Christophe J. Godlewski & Laurent Weill, 2011. "Asymmetric Information and Loan Spreads in Russia," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 49(1), pages 13-29, January.
- Bosch, Oliver & Steffen, Sascha, 2011. "On syndicate composition, corporate structure and the certification effect of credit ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 290-299, February.
- Christophe J. Godlewski & Frédéric Lobez & Jean-Christophe Statnik, 2010. "Better borrowers, fewer banks?," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2010-02, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Huang, Weihua & Schwienbacher, Armin & Zhao, Shan, 2012. "When bank loans are bad news: Evidence from market reactions to loan announcements under the risk of expropriation," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 233-252.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.