Assessing the impact of the ECB’s monetary policy on the stock markets: A sectoral view
AbstractThis paper analyzes the response of the European stock markets to the monetary policy shocks by the European Central Bank using the heteroskedasticity based approach of Rigobon (2003). We find that monetary policy tightening has a heterogeneous impact on the Euro Area sectors on the day the monetary policy is publicly announced. Furthermore, we provide statistical evidence against the use of the popular event study approach when assessing the impact of monetary policy shocks on the stock market as the maintained assumptions can be rejected for the aggregate stock market and for most of the sectoral stock market indexes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich in its series KOF Working papers with number 08-213.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Monetary policy; Stock markets; ECB;
Other versions of this item:
- Kholodilin, Konstantin & Montagnoli, Alberto & Napolitano, Oreste & Siliverstovs, Boriss, 2009. "Assessing the impact of the ECB's monetary policy on the stock markets: A sectoral view," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 211-213, December.
- Konstantin Kholodilin & Alberto Montagnoli & Oreste Napolitano & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2008. "Assessing the Impact of the ECB's Monetary Policy on the Stock Markets: A Sectoral View," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 814, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E47 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-12-21 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2008-12-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2008-12-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-12-21 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bomfim, Antulio N., 2003. "Pre-announcement effects, news effects, and volatility: Monetary policy and the stock market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 133-151, January.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2004. "Taking stock: monetary policy transmission to equity markets," Working Paper Series 0354, European Central Bank.
- Muhammad Ali Nasir & Alaa M. Soliman, 2014. "Aspects of Macroeconomic Policy Combinations and Their Effects on Financial Markets," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 19(1), pages 95-118, March.
- Challe, Edouard & Giannitsarou, Chryssi, 2014.
"Stock prices and monetary policy shocks: A general equilibrium approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 46-66.
- Edouard Challe & Chryssi Giannitsarou, 2012. "Stock Prices And Monetary Policy Shocks: A General Equilibrium Approach," Working Papers hal-00719956, HAL.
- Challe, Edouard & Giannitsarou, Chryssi, 2011. "Stock Prices and Monetary Policy Shocks: A General Equilibrium Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 8387, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Challe, E. & Giannitsarou, C., 2011. "Stock Prices and Monetary Policy Shocks: A General Equilibrium Approach," Working papers 330, Banque de France.
- Murat Duran & Pinar Ozlu & Deren Unalmis, 2010. "TCMB Faiz Kararlarinin Hisse Senedi Piyasalari Uzerine Etkisi," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 10(2), pages 23-32.
- Guray Kucukkocaoglu & Deren Unalmis & Ibrahim Unalmis, 2013.
"How do Banks’ Stock Returns Respond to Monetary Policy Committee Announcements in Turkey? Evidence from Traditional versus New Monetary Policy Episodes,"
1330, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Küçükkocaoğlu, Güray & Ünalmış, Deren & Ünalmış, İbrahim, 2013. "How do banks' stock returns respond to monetary policy committee announcements in Turkey? Evidence from traditional versus new monetary policy episodes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 536-545.
- Tang, Yong & Luo, Yong & Xiong, Jie & Zhao, Fei & Zhang, Yi-Cheng, 2013. "Impact of monetary policy changes on the Chinese monetary and stock markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(19), pages 4435-4449.
- Duran, Murat & Özcan, Gülserim & Özlü, Pınar & Ünalmış, Deren, 2012. "Measuring the impact of monetary policy on asset prices in Turkey," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 29-31.
- Murat Duran & Gulserim Ozcan & Pinar Ozlu & Deren Unalmis, 2010. "Measuring the Impact of Monetary Policy on Asset Prices in Turkey (Turkiye’de Para Politikasinin Finansal Varlik Fiyatlari Uzerine Etkisi)," Working Papers 1017, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Bernd Hayo & Britta Niehof, 2011. "Identification Through Heteroscedasticity in a Multicountry and Multimarket Framework," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201124, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.