How do banks' stock returns respond to monetary policy committee announcements in Turkey? Evidence from traditional versus new monetary policy episodes
AbstractUsing a methodology that is robust to endogeneity and omitted variable problems, it is found that the stock returns of all banks that are listed in Borsa Istanbul (BIST) respond significantly to the monetary policy surprises on Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting days prior to May 2010. It is also shown that stock returns of banks for which interest payments constitute an important share in their balance sheets respond more aggressively to the changes in policy rates. In addition, foreign banks and participation banks give relatively less responses to monetary policy surprises. Finally, the estimation results suggest that since the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey has started adopting a new monetary policy framework in May 2010, with various instruments and flexible timing, aggregate and individual bank indices have not responded significantly to the surprises on MPC meeting days.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 35 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Monetary policy; Stock market; Banking system; Emerging markets; Identification through heteroscedasticity;
Other versions of this item:
- Guray Kucukkocaoglu & Deren Unalmis & Ibrahim Unalmis, 2013. "How do Banks’ Stock Returns Respond to Monetary Policy Committee Announcements in Turkey? Evidence from Traditional versus New Monetary Policy Episodes," Working Papers 1330, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Rigobon, Roberto, 2005.
"Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission,"
Working Paper Series
0452, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2011. "Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(6), pages 948-974, 09.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2005. "Stocks, Bonds, Money Markets and Exchange Rates: Measuring International Financial Transmission," NBER Working Papers 11166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorbecke, Willem, 1997.
" On Stock Market Returns and Monetary Policy,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 635-54, June.
- Rigobon, Roberto & Sack, Brian, 2004.
"The impact of monetary policy on asset prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1553-1575, November.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian Sack, 2002. "The impact of monetary policy on asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian P. Sack, 2002. "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Asset Prices," NBER Working Papers 8794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murat Duran & Pinar Ozlu & Deren Unalmis, 2010. "TCMB Faiz Kararlarinin Hisse Senedi Piyasalari Uzerine Etkisi," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 10(2), pages 23-32.
- Carlo Rosa, 2011. "The Validity of the Event‐study Approach: Evidence from the Impact of the Fed's Monetary Policy on US and Foreign Asset Prices," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 78(311), pages 429-439, 07.
- Kuttner, Kenneth N., 2001.
"Monetary policy surprises and interest rates: Evidence from the Fed funds futures market,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 523-544, June.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2000. "Monetary policy surprises and interest rates: evidence from the Fed funds futures markets," Staff Reports 99, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Duran, Murat & Özcan, Gülserim & Özlü, Pınar & Ünalmış, Deren, 2012. "Measuring the impact of monetary policy on asset prices in Turkey," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 29-31.
- András Rezessy, 2005. "Estimating the immediate impact of monetary policy shocks on the exchange rate and other asset prices in Hungary," MNB Occasional Papers 2005/38, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Guimarães, Bernardo & Soares Gonçalves, Carlos Eduardo, 2007. "Monetary Policy, Default Risk and the Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 6501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Rigobon, 2003. "Identification Through Heteroskedasticity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 777-792, November.
- Konstantin Kholodilin & Alberto Montagnoli & Oreste Napolitano & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2008.
"Assessing the impact of the ECB’s monetary policy on the stock markets: A sectoral view,"
KOF Working papers
08-213, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Kholodilin, Konstantin & Montagnoli, Alberto & Napolitano, Oreste & Siliverstovs, Boriss, 2009. "Assessing the impact of the ECB's monetary policy on the stock markets: A sectoral view," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 211-213, December.
- Konstantin Kholodilin & Alberto Montagnoli & Oreste Napolitano & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2008. "Assessing the Impact of the ECB's Monetary Policy on the Stock Markets: A Sectoral View," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 814, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Martin T. Bohl & Pierre L. Siklos & David Sondermann, 2008. "European Stock Markets and the ECB's Monetary Policy Surprises," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 117-130, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.