How do Banks’ Stock Returns Respond to Monetary Policy Committee Announcements in Turkey? Evidence from Traditional versus New Monetary Policy Episodes
AbstractUsing a methodology that is robust to endogeneity and omitted variables problems, it is found that the stock returns of all banks that are listed in Borsa Istanbul respond significantly to the monetary policy surprises on Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting days prior to May 2010. It is shown that stock returns of banks for which interest payments constitute an important share in their balance sheets respond more aggressively to the changes in policy rates. In addition, foreign banks and participation banks give relatively less responses to monetary policy surprises. Estimation results differ between traditional and new monetary policy episodes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey in its series Working Papers with number 1330.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
Monetary Policy; Stock Market; Banking System; Emerging Markets; Identification through Heteroscedasticity;
Other versions of this item:
- Küçükkocaoğlu, Güray & Ünalmış, Deren & Ünalmış, İbrahim, 2013. "How do banks' stock returns respond to monetary policy committee announcements in Turkey? Evidence from traditional versus new monetary policy episodes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 536-545.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2013-08-05 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-BAN-2013-08-05 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2013-08-05 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FMK-2013-08-05 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2013-08-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-08-05 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian P. Sack, 2002.
"The Impact of Monetary Policy on Asset Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
8794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian Sack, 2002. "The impact of monetary policy on asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2002-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Konstantin Kholodilin & Alberto Montagnoli & Oreste Napolitano & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2008.
"Assessing the impact of the ECB’s monetary policy on the stock markets: A sectoral view,"
KOF Working papers
08-213, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Kholodilin, Konstantin & Montagnoli, Alberto & Napolitano, Oreste & Siliverstovs, Boriss, 2009. "Assessing the impact of the ECB's monetary policy on the stock markets: A sectoral view," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 211-213, December.
- Konstantin Kholodilin & Alberto Montagnoli & Oreste Napolitano & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2008. "Assessing the Impact of the ECB's Monetary Policy on the Stock Markets: A Sectoral View," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 814, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner, 2000.
"Monetary policy surprises and interest rates: evidence from the Fed funds futures markets,"
99, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kuttner, Kenneth N., 2001. "Monetary policy surprises and interest rates: Evidence from the Fed funds futures market," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 523-544, June.
- Murat Duran & Pinar Ozlu & Deren Unalmis, 2010. "TCMB Faiz Kararlarinin Hisse Senedi Piyasalari Uzerine Etkisi," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 10(2), pages 23-32.
- Roberto Rigobon, 2003. "Identification Through Heteroskedasticity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 777-792, November.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2011.
"Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(6), pages 948-974, 09.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2005. "Stocks, Bonds, Money Markets and Exchange Rates: Measuring International Financial Transmission," NBER Working Papers 11166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Rigobon, Roberto, 2005. "Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0452, European Central Bank.
- Willem Thorbecke, 1995.
"On Stock Market Returns and Monetary Policy,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_139, Levy Economics Institute.
- Martin T. Bohl & Pierre L. Siklos & David Sondermann, 2008. "European Stock Markets and the ECB's Monetary Policy Surprises," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 117-130, 08.
- GuimarÃ£es, Bernardo & Soares GonÃ§alves, Carlos Eduardo, 2007. "Monetary Policy, Default Risk and the Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 6501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Duran, Murat & Özcan, Gülserim & Özlü, Pınar & Ünalmış, Deren, 2012. "Measuring the impact of monetary policy on asset prices in Turkey," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 29-31.
- AndrÃ¡s Rezessy, 2005. "Estimating the immediate impact of monetary policy shocks on the exchange rate and other asset prices in Hungary," MNB Occasional Papers, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary) 2005/38, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Carlo Rosa, 2011. "The Validity of the Eventâ€study Approach: Evidence from the Impact of the Fed's Monetary Policy on US and Foreign Asset Prices," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 78(311), pages 429-439, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gulhanim Kayatas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.