Recent International and Regulatory Decisions about Geographical Indications, The
AbstractAs worldwide consumer demand for high-quality products and for information about these products increases, labels and geographical indications (GIs) can serve to signal quality traits to consumers. However, GI systems among countries are not homogeneous and can be used as trade barriers against competition. Philosophical differences between the European Union and the United States about how GIs should be registered and protected led to the formation of a WTO dispute settlement panel. In this paper we discuss the issues behind the dispute, the World Trade Organization (WTO) panel decision, and the EU response to the panel decision leading to the new Regulation 510/2006. Given the potential for GI labels to supply consumer information, context is provided for the discussion using recent literature on product labeling. Implications are drawn regarding the importance of the panel decision and the EU response relative to GI issues yet to be negotiated under the Doha Round.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University in its series Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications with number 07-mwp10.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
geographical indications; product labels; trade barriers.;
Other versions of this item:
- StÃ©phan Marette & Roxanne Clemens & Bruce A. Babcock, 2007. "Recent International and Regulatory Decisions about Geographical Indications, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-mwp10, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Marette, Stephan & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008. "Recent International and Regulatory Decisions About Geographical Indications, The," Staff General Research Papers 12706, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benitez, Daniel & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Chaaban, Jad, 2005.
"Public Labeling Revisited: The Role of Technological Constraints Under Protected Designation of Origin Regulation,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24668, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Benitez, D. & Bouamra-Mechemache, Z. & Chaaban, J., 2005. "Public labeling revisited : the role of technological constraints under protected designation of origin regulation," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 200521, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Bruce A. Babcock & Roxanne Clemens, 2004.
"Geographical Indications and Property Rights: Protecting Value-Added Agricultural Products,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
04-mbp7, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Roxanne Clemens, 2004. "Geographical Indications and Property Rights: Protecting Value-Added Agricultural Products," Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) Publications 04-mbp7, Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center (MATRIC) at Iowa State University.
- Patel, Payal & House, Lisa & Spreen, Thomas H., 2011. "How Do Different Countries Use Labeling Standards: A Case Study Comparing Wisconsin Real Cheese to Parmigiano-Reggiano," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122015, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Sven Anders & Julie A. Caswell, 2008.
"The Benefits and Costs of Proliferation of Geographical Labelling for Developing Countries,"
2008-7, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Anders, Sven & Caswell, Julie A., 2009. "The Benefits and Costs of Proliferation of Geographical Labeling for Developing Countries," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 10(1).
- Dentoni, Domenico & Menozzi, Davide & Capelli, Maria Giacinta, 2012. "Group heterogeneity and cooperation on the geographical indication regulation: The case of the “Prosciutto di Parma” Consortium," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 207-216.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.