A State Space Approach to Estimating the Integrated Variance and Microstructure Noise Component
AbstractWe call the realized variance (RV) calculated with observed prices contaminated by microstructure noises (MNs) the noise-contaminated RV (NCRV) and refer to the component in the NCRV associated with the MNs as the MN component. This paper develops a state space method for estimating the integrated variance (IV) and MN component simultaneously. We represent the NCRV by a state space form and show that the state space form parameters are not identifiable; however, they can be expressed as functions of fewer identifiable parameters. We illustrate how to estimate these parameters. The proposed method is applied to yen/dollar exchange rate data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd09-055.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Realized Variance; Integrated Variance; Microstructure Noise; State Space; Identification; Exchange Rate;
Other versions of this item:
- Daisuke Nagakura & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2009. "A State Space Approach to Estimating the Integrated Variance and Microstructure Noise Component," IMES Discussion Paper Series 09-E-11, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-04-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-04-25 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MST-2009-04-25 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MEDDAHI, Nour, 2001.
"An Eigenfunction Approach for Volatility Modeling,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-29, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Hansen, Peter R. & Lunde, Asger, 2006. "Realized Variance and Market Microstructure Noise," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 127-161, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.