A State Space Approach to Estimating the Integrated Variance under the Existence of Market Microstructure Noise
AbstractAbstract We call the realized variance (RV) calculated with observed prices contaminated by (market) microstructure noises (MNs) the noise-contaminated RV (NCRV), referring to the bias component in the NCRV associated with the MNs as the MN component. This paper develops a state space method for estimating the integrated variance (IV) and MN component. We represent the NCRV by a state space form and show that the state space form parameters are not identifiable, however, they can be expressed as functions of identifiable parameters. We illustrate how to estimate these parameters. The proposed method also serves as a convenient way for estimating a general class of continuous-time stochastic volatility (SV) models under the existence of MN. We apply the proposed method to yen/dollar exchange rate data, where we find that most of the variation in NCRV is of the MN component.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd09-115.
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
Realized Variance; Integrated Variance; Microstructure Noise; State Space; Identification; Exchange Rate;
Other versions of this item:
- Daisuke Nagakura & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2011. "A State Space Approach to Estimating the Integrated Variance under the Existence of Market Microstructure Noise," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd11-200, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-03-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-03-13 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MST-2010-03-13 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Masato Ubukata & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2013. "Pricing Nikkei 225 Options Using Realized Volatility," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd12-273, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Masato Ubukata & Toshiaki Watanabe, 2011. "Pricing Nikkei 225 Options Using Realized Volatility," IMES Discussion Paper Series 11-E-18, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.