Determinants of foreign technological activity in German regions - a count model analysis of transnational patents (1996-2009)
AbstractThis paper analyses the determinants of spatial distribution of foreign technological activity across 96 German regions (1996-2009). We identify foreign inventive activity by applying the ‘cross-border-ownership concept’ to transnational patent applications. The descriptive analysis shows that foreign technological activity more than doubled during the observation period with persistent spatial heterogeneity in Germany. Using a pooled count data model, we estimate the effect of various sources for externalities on the extent of foreign technological activity across regions. Our results show that foreign technological activity is attracted by technologically specialised sectors of regions. In contrast to existing findings this effect applies both to foreign as well as domestic sources of specialisation. We show that the relation between specialization and foreign technological activity is non-linear and that it is influenced by sectoral heterogeneity. Externalities related to technological diversification attract foreign R&D only into ‘higher order’ regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Research University Higher School of Economics in its series HSE Working papers with number WP BRP 17/STI/2013.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in WP BRP Series: Science, Technology and Innovation / STI, September 2013, pages 1-33
foreign direct investment; technology; Europe; patent information;
Other versions of this item:
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Günther & Björn Jindra, 2013. "Determinants of Foreign Technological Activity in German Regions – A Count Model Analysis of Transnational Patents (1996-2009)," IWH Discussion Papers 12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2013-10-11 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-GEO-2013-10-11 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2013-10-11 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2013-10-11 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-SBM-2013-10-11 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2013-10-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GORG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, 2003.
"Multinationals' location choice, agglomeration economies and public incentives,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salvador Barrios & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, 2006. "Multinationals' Location Choice, Agglomeration Economies, and Public Incentives," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 29(1), pages 81-107, January.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2003.
"How do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3873, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in France," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Crozet, M. & Mayer, T. & Micchielli, J.L., 2000. "How Do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France?," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 2000.50, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Cowan, Robin & David, Paul A & Foray, Dominique, 2000.
"The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 211-53, June.
- Robin Cowan & Paul A. David & Dominique Foray, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Working Papers 99027, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Cowan,Robin & David,Paul & Foray,Dominique, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-40, June.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2012. "Geoadditive models for regional count data: an application to industrial location," ERSA conference papers ersa12p83, European Regional Science Association.
- Eric von Hippel, 1994. ""Sticky Information" and the Locus of Problem Solving: Implications for Innovation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(4), pages 429-439, April.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2001.
"The internationalisation of technology analysed with patent data,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6223, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Guellec, Dominique & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno v., 2001. "The internationalisation of technology analysed with patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1253-1266, October.
- Cincera, Michele & van Pottelsberghe, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2005.
"Assessing the Foreign Control of Production of Technology: The Case of a Small Open Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michele Cincera & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2006. "Assessing the foreign control of production of technology: The case of a small open economy," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/111856, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Archanun Kohpaiboonb, 2009.
"Globalization of R&D by U.S-based Multinational Enterprises,"
Departmental Working Papers
2009-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Kohpaiboon, Archanun, 2010. "Globalization of R&D by US-based multinational enterprises," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1335-1347, December.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2002.
CEPR Discussion Papers
3402, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paola Criscuolo & Rajneesh Narula & Bart Verspagen, 2005. "Role of home and host country innovation systems in r&d internationalisation: a patent citation analysis," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 417-433.
- Elhanan Helpman, 2006.
"Trade, FDI, and the Organization of Firms,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2118, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Bart Verspagen & Wilfred Schoenmakers, 2004.
"The spatial dimension of patenting by multinational firms in europe,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 23-42, January.
- Verspagen, B. & Schoenmakers, W., 2002. "The Spatial Dimension of Patenting by Multinational Firms in Europe," Working Papers 02.11, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Verspagen, B. & Schoenmakers, W., 2002. "The Spatial Dimension of Patenting by Multinational Firms in Europe," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 02.11, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2004. "Measuring the internationalisation of the generation of knowledge: an approach based on patent data," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6269, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Almeida, Paul & Kogut, Bruce, 1997. " The Exploration of Technological Diversity and the Geographic Localization of Innovation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 21-31, February.
- Juan Alcácer & Wilbur Chung, 2007. "Location Strategies and Knowledge Spillovers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 760-776, May.
- John Cantwell & Simona Iammarino, 1998. "MNCs, Technological Innovation and Regional Systems in the EU: Some Evidence in the Italian Case," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 383-408.
- Bernhard Dachs & Andreas Pyka, 2010. "What drives the internationalisation of innovation? Evidence from European patent data," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 71-86.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-70, December.
- Cantwell, John & Iammarino, Simona, 2001. "EU Regions and Multinational Corporations: Change, Stability and Strengthening of Technological Comparative Advantages," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 1007-37, December.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello & Stefano Elia, 2010. "Spatial agglomeration of multinational enterprises: the role of information externalities and knowledge spillovers," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 519-538, July.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- John Cantwell & Simona Iammarino, 2000. "Multinational Corporations and the Location of Technological Innovation in the UK Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 317-332.
- Philip McCann & Ram Mudambi, 2004. "The Location Behavior of the Multinational Enterprise: Some Analytical Issues," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 35(4), pages 491-524.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1996. "Flows of Knowledge from Universities and Federal Labs: Modeling the Flowof Patent Citations Over Time and Across Institutional and Geographic Boundari," NBER Working Papers 5712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- ITO Banri & WAKASUGI Ryuhei, 2007. "Factors Determining the Mode of Overseas R&D by Multinationals: Empirical Evidence," Discussion papers 07004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Nicholas Bloom & Rachel Griffith & John Van Reenen, 2007.
"Do R&D Tax Credits Work? Evidence from a Panel of Countries 1979-1997,"
07-020, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Bloom, Nick & Griffith, Rachel & Van Reenen, John, 2002. "Do R&D tax credits work? Evidence from a panel of countries 1979-1997," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 1-31, July.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- James D. Adams, 2001.
"Comparative Localization of Academic and Industrial Spillovers,"
NBER Working Papers
8292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James D. Adams, 2002. "Comparative localization of academic and industrial spillovers," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 253-278, July.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel & Simpson, Helen, 2007. "Firm location decisions, regional grants and agglomeration externalities," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 413-435, April.
- Soete, Luc, 1987. "The impact of technological innovation on international trade patterns: The evidence reconsidered," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 101-130, August.
- Basile, Roberto & Castellani, Davide & Zanfei, Antonello, 2008.
"Location choices of multinational firms in Europe: The role of EU cohesion policy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 328-340, March.
- Roberto Basile & Davide Castellani & Antonello Zanfei, 2007. "Location choices of multinational firms in Europe: the role of EU cohesion policy," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 32/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Hugo Erken & Marcel Kleijn, 2010. "Location factors of international R&D activities: an econometric approach," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 203-232.
- Stefano Breschi, 2000. "The Geography of Innovation: A Cross-sector Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 213-229.
- Thomson, Russell, 2013. "National scientific capacity and R&D offshoring," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 517-528.
- Marek Philipp, 2012. "Agglomeration and FDI in East German Knowledge-Intensive Business Services," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 343-360.
- Ito, Banri & Wakasugi, Ryuhei, 2007. "What factors determine the mode of overseas R&D by multinationals? Empirical evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1275-1287, October.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Cantwell, John & Santangelo, Grazia D., 1999. "The frontier of international technology networks: sourcing abroad the most highly tacit capabilities," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-123, March.
- Andrea Gauselmann & Philipp Marek, 2011. "Regional Determinants of MNE's Location Choice in Transition Economies," WIFO Working Papers 412, WIFO.
- Canfei He, 2002. "Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1029-1036.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamil Abdulaev) or (Victoria Elkina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.