What drives the internationalisation of innovation? Evidence from European patent data
AbstractThis paper analyses the current internationalisation of innovation activities and identifies the main drivers for the countries of the European Union (EU). We employ patent applications at the European Patent Office covering the period 2000-2005. Our results show that the internationalisation of innovation is mainly due to an intensified co-operation between EU member states, as well as stronger ties between Europe and the USA. Innovative activity of EU enterprises is hardly globalised in the sense of being equally distributed around the world. Multivariate analysis reveals that cross-border patents between two countries increase with absolute market size of the host country, with rising levels of research and development in the home and host country and with a stronger protection of intellectual property rights in the host country. Distance between home and host country is negatively related to the number of cross-border patents. A common language between two countries and joint membership in the EU are also factors that considerably spur overseas innovation activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 2011. "The internationalization of R&D," MERIT Working Papers 049, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Nepelski, Daniel & De Prato, Giuditta, 2011. "Internationalisation of ICT R&D in Asia vis a vis the world regions," MPRA Paper 39281, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tiwari, Rajnish & Herstatt, Cornelius, 2011. "Role of "Lead Market" factors in globalization of innovation: Emerging evidence from India & its implications," Working Papers 64, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management.
- Suma Athreye & Georgios Batsakis & Satwinder Singh, 2013. "Subsidiary Embeddedness is a Strategic Choice: Complementarity and the factors associated with different types of embeddedness," DRUID Working Papers 13-05, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- De Prato, Giuditta & Nepelski, Daniel, 2012. "Global technological collaboration network. Network analysis of international co-inventions," MPRA Paper 38818, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Expertenkommission Forschung und Innovation (EFI), Berlin (ed.), 2013. "Gutachten zu Forschung, Innovation und technologischer Leistungsfähigkeit Deutschlands 2013," Research, innovation and technological performance in Germany: Report, Expertenkommission Forschung und Innovation (EFI), volume 127, number 2013.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Guenther & Bjorn Jindra, 2013.
"Determinants of foreign technological activity in German regions - a count model analysis of transnational patents (1996-2009),"
HSE Working papers
WP BRP 17/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Günther & Björn Jindra, 2013. "Determinants of Foreign Technological Activity in German Regions – A Count Model Analysis of Transnational Patents (1996-2009)," IWH Discussion Papers 12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Commission of Experts for Research and Innovation (EFI), Berlin (ed.), 2013. "Research, innovation and technological performance in Germany - EFI Report 2013," Research, innovation and technological performance in Germany: Report, Expertenkommission Forschung und Innovation (EFI), volume 127, number 2013e.
- Sandra Leitner & Bernhard Dachs & Robert Stehrer, 2012. "Determinants of R&D activities of multinational firms abroad," ERSA conference papers ersa12p196, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.