Globalization of R&D by US-based multinational enterprises
AbstractThis paper examines patterns and determinants of overseas R&D investment by US-based manufacturing MNEs using a new panel dataset over the period 1990-2004. The analysis reveals that R&D intensity of operation of US MNE affiliates is determined mainly by the domestic market size, overall R&D capability and cost of hiring R&D personnel. There is no evidence to suggest that R&D specific incentives have a significant impact on inter-country differences in R&D intensity when controlled for other relevant variables. Overall, our findings cast doubts on the efficacy of efforts by host country governments to entice MNE affiliates to engage in domestic R&D activity, in a context where R&D is becoming a truly global activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 39 (2010)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
R&D Multinational enterprises Foreign direct investment;
Other versions of this item:
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Archanun Kohpaiboonb, 2009. "Globalization of R&D by U.S-based Multinational Enterprises," Departmental Working Papers 2009-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Günther & Björn Jindra, 2013.
"Determinants of Foreign Technological Activity in German Regions – A Count Model Analysis of Transnational Patents (1996-2009),"
IWH Discussion Papers
12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Guenther & Bjorn Jindra, 2013. "Determinants of foreign technological activity in German regions - a count model analysis of transnational patents (1996-2009)," HSE Working papers WP BRP 17/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Barros, Henrique M., 2011. "The Effects of Innovation Partnership, Foreign Ownership and Enhanced Management Practices on the Use of Patents in Brazilian Manufacturing," Insper Working Papers wpe_255, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Alvandi , Keyvan & Chaminade , Cristina & Lv, Ping, 2013. "Commonalities and differences between production-related FDI (PFDI) and technology-related FDI (TFDI) in developed and emerging economies," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/47, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.