Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China1
AbstractHe C. (2002) Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China, Reg. Studies 36, 1029-1036. Foreign investors suffer from adverse information asymmetry and face internal and external uncertainties in host economies. Better access to information and a variety of agglomeration economies could attenuate the disadvantages that foreign investors encounter. Statistical results strongly buttress the argument that foreign investors are inclined to favour such locations that could minimize information costs and offer a variety of agglomeration economies. Theoretical and policy implications and further research directions are discussed at the end.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2002)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104661
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Siqi Zheng & Matthew E. Kahn & Hongyu Liu, 2009.
"Towards a System of Open Cities in China: Home Prices, FDI Flows and Air Quality in 35 Major Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
14751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zheng, Siqi & Kahn, Matthew E. & Liu, Hongyu, 2010. "Towards a system of open cities in China: Home prices, FDI flows and air quality in 35 major cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-10, January.
- Du, Julan & Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang, 2012. "Institutions and FDI location choice: The role of cultural distances," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 210-223.
- George Shih-Ku Chen, 2009.
"Determinants Of Taiwanese Investment In China: An Agglomeration Economies-Based Perspective,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
01-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, George Shih-Ku, 2009. "Determinants of Taiwanese investment in China: An agglomeration economies-based perspective," MPRA Paper 13894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- He, Zheng & Rayman-Bacchus, Lez & Wu, Yiming, 2011. "Self-organization of industrial clustering in a transition economy: A proposed framework and case study evidence from China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1280-1294.
- Octavio Escobar, 2011. "The location pattern of FDI in Mexico after NAFTA," ERSA conference papers ersa10p804, European Regional Science Association.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Günther & Björn Jindra, 2013.
"Determinants of Foreign Technological Activity in German Regions – A Count Model Analysis of Transnational Patents (1996-2009),"
IWH Discussion Papers
12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Guenther & Bjorn Jindra, 2013. "Determinants of foreign technological activity in German regions - a count model analysis of transnational patents (1996-2009)," HSE Working papers WP BRP 17/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- N.S. Siddharthan, 2006. "Regional Diffferences in FDI Inflows: China â€“ India Comparison," Working Papers id:438, eSocialSciences.
- Anthony Chin & Hong Junjie, 2005.
"The Location Decisions of Foreign Logistics Firms in China: Does Transport Network Capacity Matter?,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0509, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Anthony Chin & Hong Junjie, 2005. "The Location Decisions of Foreign Logistics Firms in China : Does Transport Network Capacity Matter?," Trade Working Papers 22568, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hong, Junjie, 2007. "Transport and the location of foreign logistics firms: The Chinese experience," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 597-609, July.
- Okada, Aya & Siddharthan, N.S., 2007. "Industrial Clusters in India: Evidence from Automobile Clusters in Chennai and the National Capital Region," IDE Discussion Papers 103, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Du, Julan & Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang, 2008. "Economic institutions and FDI location choice: Evidence from US multinationals in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 412-429, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.