Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China1
AbstractHe C. (2002) Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China, Reg. Studies 36, 1029-1036. Foreign investors suffer from adverse information asymmetry and face internal and external uncertainties in host economies. Better access to information and a variety of agglomeration economies could attenuate the disadvantages that foreign investors encounter. Statistical results strongly buttress the argument that foreign investors are inclined to favour such locations that could minimize information costs and offer a variety of agglomeration economies. Theoretical and policy implications and further research directions are discussed at the end.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2002)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Octavio Escobar, 2011. "The location pattern of FDI in Mexico after NAFTA," ERSA conference papers ersa10p804, European Regional Science Association.
- Siqi Zheng & Matthew E. Kahn & Hongyu Liu, 2009.
"Towards a System of Open Cities in China: Home Prices, FDI Flows and Air Quality in 35 Major Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
14751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zheng, Siqi & Kahn, Matthew E. & Liu, Hongyu, 2010. "Towards a system of open cities in China: Home prices, FDI flows and air quality in 35 major cities," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-10, January.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Günther & Björn Jindra, 2013.
"Determinants of Foreign Technological Activity in German Regions – A Count Model Analysis of Transnational Patents (1996-2009),"
IWH Discussion Papers
12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Eva Dettmann & Iciar Dominguez Lacasa & Jutta Guenther & Bjorn Jindra, 2013. "Determinants of foreign technological activity in German regions - a count model analysis of transnational patents (1996-2009)," HSE Working papers WP BRP 17/STI/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Hong, Junjie, 2007. "Transport and the location of foreign logistics firms: The Chinese experience," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 597-609, July.
- Kelley, Dennis & Coner, Joshua Klatte & Lyles, Marjorie A., 2013. "Chinese foreign direct investment in the United States: Location choice determinants and strategic implications for the State of Indiana," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 443-451.
- Escobar Gamboa, Octavio Romano, 2009. "IDE entrants, exportations et productivité manufacturière : les différentes performances des régions mexicaines," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/3850 edited by Guillochon, Bernard.
- N.S. Siddharthan, 2006. "Regional Diffferences in FDI Inflows: China â€“ India Comparison," Working Papers id:438, eSocialSciences.
- Du, Julan & Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang, 2012. "Institutions and FDI location choice: The role of cultural distances," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 210-223.
- Du, Julan & Lu, Yi & Tao, Zhigang, 2008. "Economic institutions and FDI location choice: Evidence from US multinationals in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 412-429, September.
- Lale Berkoz & Sevkiye Sence Turk, 2005. "Factors Influencing The Choice Of Fdi Locations In Turkey," ERSA conference papers ersa05p434, European Regional Science Association.
- Àngels Pelegrín & Catalina Bolancé, 2006.
"Regional foreign direct investment in manufacturing. Do agglomeration economies matter?,"
2006/2, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Angels Pelegrin & Catalina Bolance, 2008. "Regional Foreign Direct Investment in Manufacturing. Do Agglomeration Economies Matter?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 505-522.
- Àngels Pelegrín, 2003.
"Regional Distribution of Foreign Manufacturing Investment in Spain. Do Agglomeration Economies Matter?,"
2003/6, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Angels Pelegrín Solé, 2004. "Regional distribution of foreign manufacturing investment in Spain. Do agglomeration economies matter?," ERSA conference papers ersa04p682, European Regional Science Association.
- Chen, George Shih-Ku, 2009.
"Determinants of Taiwanese investment in China: An agglomeration economies-based perspective,"
13894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Shih-Ku Chen, 2009. "Determinants Of Taiwanese Investment In China: An Agglomeration Economies-Based Perspective," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series 01-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- He, Zheng & Rayman-Bacchus, Lez & Wu, Yiming, 2011. "Self-organization of industrial clustering in a transition economy: A proposed framework and case study evidence from China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1280-1294.
- Sevkiye Sence Turk & Lale Berkoz, 2005. "A Spatial Model Of Change Of Fdi Firm Population In Istanbul," ERSA conference papers ersa05p437, European Regional Science Association.
- Anthony Chin & Hong Junjie, 2005.
"The Location Decisions of Foreign Logistics Firms in China : Does Transport Network Capacity Matter?,"
Trade Working Papers
22568, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Anthony Chin & Hong Junjie, 2005. "The Location Decisions of Foreign Logistics Firms in China: Does Transport Network Capacity Matter?," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0509, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Okada, Aya & Siddharthan, N.S., 2007. "Industrial Clusters in India: Evidence from Automobile Clusters in Chennai and the National Capital Region," IDE Discussion Papers 103, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.