The Greek Fiscal Crisis and the Role of Fiscal Governance
AbstractIn view of the growing attention paid to the role of fiscal governance in budgetary outcomes, this paper tries to shed light on the link between the recent Greek fiscal crisis and aspects of fiscal governance. It reviews fiscal developments in Greece over the last decade and challenges the widely held view that optimistic macroeconomic forecasts adopted by the Greek government, as well as three international organisations, were responsible for unrealistic fiscal deficit forecasts. Instead, the weak domestic institutional budget framework and the ineffectiveness of international organizations to act as signaling mechanisms emerge as the main reasons for weak fiscal performance. In this light, the paper puts forward some ideas for improving the domestic institutional framework for conducting fiscal policy in Greece.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hellenic Observatory, LSE in its series GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe with number 48.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/
More information through EDIRC
fiscal governance; fiscal forecasts; fiscal discipline; budget institutions; public financial management; Greece.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H61 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Budget; Budget Systems
- H62 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Deficit; Surplus
- H68 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Forecasts of Budgets, Deficits, and Debt
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Debrun & David Hauner & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2009. "Independent Fiscal Agencies," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 44-81, 02.
- Xavier Debrun & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2007. "The Discipline-Enhancing Role of Fiscal Institutions: Theory and Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 07/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars Jonung & Martin Larch, 2004.
"Improving fiscal policy in the EU: the case for independent forecasts,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
210, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Lars Jonung & Martin Larch, 2006. "Improving fiscal policy in the EU: the case for independent forecasts," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 21(47), pages 491-534, 07.
- Thiess Buettner & Bjoern Kauder, 2010.
"Revenue Forecasting Practices: Differences across Countries and Consequences for Forecasting Performance,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 313-340, 09.
- Thiess Buettner & Björn Kauder, 2009. "Revenue Forecasting Practices: Differences across Countries and Consequences for Forecasting Performance," CESifo Working Paper Series 2628, CESifo Group Munich.
- Helen Caraveli & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2012. "Economic Restructuring, Crises and the Regions: The Political Economy of Regional Inequalities in Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 61, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Yannis Valinakis, 2012. "Greece’s European Policy Making," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 63, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Georgia Kaplanoglou & Vassilis T. Rapanos, 2013. "Fiscal Deficits and the Role of Fiscal Governance: The case of Greece," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 43(1), pages 5-30, March.
- Spyros Kosmidis, 2013. "Government Constraints and Economic Voting in Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 70, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassilis Monastiriotis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.