Rethinking public financial management and budgeting in Greece: time to reboot?
AbstractThis paper addresses the budgeting challenges posed at a national level especially at a time of fiscal crisis and suggests some policy prescriptions to improve the functioning of the Greek public financial system. It focuses on the Public Financial Management and budgeting framework. In that regard, the paper highlights the need for a strategic and comprehensive review of the system as a whole and stresses the importance of a coordinated and phased approach for the overhaul of the various system components. A set of tools and methods for reform is presented and analyzed aiming at a convergence with international best practices over the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library in its series LSE Research Online Documents on Economics with number 29097.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Public financial management framework; budgetary procedures; public expenditure; public sector reform;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nikolaos Zahariadis, 2007. "Subsidising Europe’s industry: is Greece the exception?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5633, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christos J. Paraskevopoulos, 2007. "Social Capital and Public Policy in Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 09, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Nikolaos Zahariadis, 2007. "Subsidising Europe’s Industry: is Greece the exception?," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 03, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Stelios Stavridis, 2007. "Anti-Americanism in Greece: reactions to the 11-S, Afghanistan and Iraq," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 06, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2007. "Economic Policy in EMU: Community Framework and National Strategies – focus on Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 04, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Dionyssis G. Dimitrakopoulos, 2007. "Institutions and the implementation of EU public policy in Greece: the case of public procurement," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 02, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucy Ayre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.