Without purpose and strategy? A spatio-functional analysis of the regional allocation of public investment in Greece
AbstractWe utilise a large database on public investment at the prefecture (NUTS-3) level in Greece for the period 1976-2008 to examine the spatial and functional allocation of public investment in the country. We investigate the extent to which expenditures in different types of public investment are complementary across space and over time and examine their redistributive character. We also analyse regional specialisations and the geographical concentration of public investments and complementarily use an exploratory spatial data analysis to examine the extent of clustering of public investment and identify possible patterns in the geography of clusters and hotspots. Although our analysis uses predominantly descriptive tools, our results have confirmatory power, as they reveal a surprisingly random pattern for the spatial and functional allocation of public investment in Greece, thus raising important questions about the rationale for these allocations and, by implication, about the geographical, political and economic dynamics that underlie them. These questions obtain an additional salience in light of the administrative and fiscal reforms pursued currently by the Greek government under the pressure of the country’s sovereign debt crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hellenic Observatory, LSE in its series GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe with number 49.
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/
More information through EDIRC
public investment; regional allocations; spatial data analysis; Greece.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iain McLean & Alistair McMillan, 2003. "The Distribution of Public Expenditure across the UK Regions," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 24(1), pages 45-71, March.
- Mas Ivars Matilde & Pérez García Francisco & Uriel Jiménez Ezequiel, 2005. "El stock de capital en España y su distribución territorial (1964-2002)," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, edition 0, number 201146.
- Andr�s Rodr�guez-Pose & Sylvia A R Tijmstra & Adala Bwire, 2009.
"Fiscal decentralisation, efficiency, and growth,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(9), pages 2041-2062, September.
- Akai, Nobuo & Sakata, Masayo, 2002. "Fiscal decentralization contributes to economic growth: evidence from state-level cross-section data for the United States," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 93-108, July.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2009. "Examining the consistency of spatial association patterns across socio-economic indicators: an application to the Greek regions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 25-49, September.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Platon Monokroussos & Dimitrios D. Thomakos, 2012. "Can Greece be saved? Current Account, fiscal imbalances and competitiveness," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 59, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Spyros Kosmidis, 2013. "Government Constraints and Economic Voting in Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 70, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- George Alogoskoufis, 2012. "Greece’s Sovereign Debt Crisis: Retrospect and Prospect," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 54, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Helen Caraveli & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2012. "Economic Restructuring, Crises and the Regions: The Political Economy of Regional Inequalities in Greece," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 61, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Yannis Valinakis, 2012. "Greece’s European Policy Making," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 63, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Horen Voskeritsian & Andreas Kornelakis, 2011. "Institutional Change in Greek Industrial Relations in an Era of Fiscal Crisis," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 52, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassilis Monastiriotis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.