Bayesian inference for CoVaR
AbstractRecent financial disasters emphasised the need to investigate the consequence associated with the tail co-movements among institutions; episodes of contagion are frequently observed and increase the probability of large losses affecting market participants' risk capital. Commonly used risk management tools fail to account for potential spillover effects among institutions because they provide individual risk assessment. We contribute to analyse the interdependence effects of extreme events providing an estimation tool for evaluating the Conditional Value-at-Risk (CoVaR) defined as the Value-at-Risk of an institution conditioned on another institution being under distress. In particular, our approach relies on Bayesian quantile regression framework. We propose a Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithm exploiting the Asymmetric Laplace distribution and its representation as a location-scale mixture of Normals. Moreover, since risk measures are usually evaluated on time series data and returns typically change over time, we extend the CoVaR model to account for the dynamics of the tail behaviour. Application on U.S. companies belonging to different sectors of the Standard and Poor's Composite Index (S&P500) is considered to evaluate the marginal contribution to the overall systemic risk of each individual institution
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1306.2834.
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision: Nov 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-06-16 (Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2013-06-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-RMG-2013-06-16 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Athanasios Kottas & Milovan Krnjajic, 2009. "Bayesian Semiparametric Modelling in Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(2), pages 297-319.
- De Rossi, Giuliano & Harvey, Andrew, 2009.
"Quantiles, expectiles and splines,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 179-185, October.
- DeRossi, G. & Harvey, A., 2007. "Quantiles, Expectiles and Splines," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0660, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- DeRossi, G. & Harvey, A., 2007. "Quantiles, Expectiles and Splines," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0702, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2010:i:may:p:65-71 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Economics Series Working Papers
1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Shephard, N. & Doornik, J.A., 1998. "Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2," Discussion Paper 1998-141, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse H & Philippon, Thomas & Richardson, Matthew P, 2012.
"Measuring Systemic Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8824, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, December.
- Bernardi, Mauro, 2013.
"Risk measures for skew normal mixtures,"
Statistics & Probability Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 83(8), pages 1819-1824.
- Yu, Keming & Moyeed, Rana A., 2001. "Bayesian quantile regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 437-447, October.
- Cheng-Few Lee & Jung-Bin Su, 2012. "Alternative statistical distributions for estimating value-at-risk: theory and evidence," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 309-331, October.
- Julia Schaumburg, 2010. "Predicting extreme VaR: Nonparametric quantile regression with refinements from extreme value theory," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-009, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Viral Acharya & Robert Engle & Matthew Richardson, 2012. "Capital Shortfall: A New Approach to Ranking and Regulating Systemic Risks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 59-64, May.
- Park, Trevor & Casella, George, 2008. "The Bayesian Lasso," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 681-686, June.
- James W. Taylor, 2008. "Using Exponentially Weighted Quantile Regression to Estimate Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 382-406, Summer.
- Girardi, Giulio & Tolga Ergün, A., 2013. "Systemic risk measurement: Multivariate GARCH estimation of CoVaR," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3169-3180.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0841, Econometric Society.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Bernardi, Mauro & Maruotti, Antonello & Petrella, Lea, 2012.
"Skew mixture models for loss distributions: A Bayesian approach,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 617-623.
- Bernardi, Mauro & Maruotti, Antonello & Lea, Petrella, 2012. "Skew mixture models for loss distributions: a Bayesian approach," MPRA Paper 39826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- van Dyk, David A. & Park, Taeyoung, 2008. "Partially Collapsed Gibbs Samplers: Theory and Methods," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 790-796, June.
- Koenker, Roger & Xiao, Zhijie, 2006. "Quantile Autoregression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 980-990, September.
- Shih-Kang Chao & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Weining Wang, 2012. "Quantile Regression in Risk Calibration," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-006, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Kottas A. & Gelfand A.E., 2001. "Bayesian Semiparametric Median Regression Modeling," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1458-1468, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.