Bayesian inference for CoVaR
AbstractRecent financial disasters emphasised the need to investigate the consequence associated with the tail co-movements among institutions; episodes of contagion are frequently observed and increase the probability of large losses affecting market participants' risk capital. Commonly used risk management tools fail to account for potential spillover effects among institutions because they provide individual risk assessment. We contribute to analyse the interdependence effects of extreme events providing an estimation tool for evaluating the Conditional Value-at-Risk (CoVaR) defined as the Value-at-Risk of an institution conditioned on another institution being under distress. In particular, our approach relies on Bayesian quantile regression framework. We propose a Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithm exploiting the Asymmetric Laplace distribution and its representation as a location-scale mixture of Normals. Moreover, since risk measures are usually evaluated on time series data and returns typically change over time, we extend the CoVaR model to account for the dynamics of the tail behaviour. Application on U.S. companies belonging to different sectors of the Standard and Poor's Composite Index (S&P500) is considered to evaluate the marginal contribution to the overall systemic risk of each individual institution
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1306.2834.
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision: Nov 2013
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-06-16 (Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2013-06-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-RMG-2013-06-16 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Nancy Y. C. & Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard, 2009.
"Bayesian time-varying quantile forecasting for Value-at-Risk in financial markets,"
01/2009, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
- Gerlach, Richard H. & Chen, Cathy W. S. & Chan, Nancy Y. C., 2011. "Bayesian Time-Varying Quantile Forecasting for Value-at-Risk in Financial Markets," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 481-492.
- Bernardi, Mauro & Maruotti, Antonello & Lea, Petrella, 2012.
"Skew mixture models for loss distributions: a Bayesian approach,"
39826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bernardi, Mauro & Maruotti, Antonello & Petrella, Lea, 2012. "Skew mixture models for loss distributions: A Bayesian approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 617-623.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Shephard, N. & Doornik, J.A., 1998. "Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2," Discussion Paper 1998-141, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2010:i:may:p:65-71 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, October.
- van Dyk, David A. & Park, Taeyoung, 2008. "Partially Collapsed Gibbs Samplers: Theory and Methods," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 790-796, June.
- DeRossi, G. & Harvey, A., 2007.
"Quantiles, Expectiles and Splines,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0660, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kottas A. & Gelfand A.E., 2001. "Bayesian Semiparametric Median Regression Modeling," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1458-1468, December.
- Cheng-Few Lee & Jung-Bin Su, 2012. "Alternative statistical distributions for estimating value-at-risk: theory and evidence," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 309-331, October.
- Adams, Zeno & Füss, Roland & Gropp, Reint, 2013. "Spillover effects among financial institutions: A state-dependent sensitivity value-at-risk approach," SAFE Working Paper Series 20, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Yu, Keming & Moyeed, Rana A., 2001. "Bayesian quantile regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 437-447, October.
- Viral V. Acharya & Lasse H. Pedersen & Thomas Philippon & Matthew Richardson, 2010.
"Measuring systemic risk,"
1002, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Park, Trevor & Casella, George, 2008. "The Bayesian Lasso," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 681-686, June.
- Koenker, Roger & Xiao, Zhijie, 2006. "Quantile Autoregression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 980-990, September.
- Julia Schaumburg, 2010. "Predicting extreme VaR: Nonparametric quantile regression with refinements from extreme value theory," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-009, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- James W. Taylor, 2008. "Using Exponentially Weighted Quantile Regression to Estimate Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 382-406, Summer.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Girardi, Giulio & Tolga Ergün, A., 2013. "Systemic risk measurement: Multivariate GARCH estimation of CoVaR," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3169-3180.
- Bernardi, Mauro, 2013.
"Risk measures for skew normal mixtures,"
Statistics & Probability Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 83(8), pages 1819-1824.
- Viral Acharya & Robert Engle & Matthew Richardson, 2012. "Capital Shortfall: A New Approach to Ranking and Regulating Systemic Risks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 59-64, May.
- Athanasios Kottas & Milovan Krnjajic, 2009. "Bayesian Semiparametric Modelling in Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(2), pages 297-319.
- Shih-Kang Chao & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Weining Wang, 2012. "Quantile Regression in Risk Calibration," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-006, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.