Bayesian Time-Varying Quantile Forecasting for Value-at-Risk in Financial Markets
AbstractRecently, Bayesian solutions to the quantile regression problem, via the likelihood of a Skewed-Laplace distribution, have been proposed. These approaches are extended and applied to a family of dynamic conditional autoregressive quantile models. Popular Value at Risk models, used for risk management in finance, are extended to this fully nonlinear family. An adaptive Markov chain Monte Carlo sampling scheme is adapted for estimation and inference. Simulation studies illustrate favourable performance, compared to the standard numerical optimization of the usual nonparametric quantile criterion function, in finite samples. An empirical study generating Value at Risk forecasts for ten major financial stock indices finds significant nonlinearity in dynamic quantiles and evidence favoring the proposed model family, for lower level quantiles, compared to a range of standard parametric volatility models, a semi-parametric smoothly mixing regression and some nonparametric risk measures, in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Chan, Nancy Y. C. & Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard, 2009. "Bayesian time-varying quantile forecasting for Value-at-Risk in financial markets," Working Papers 01/2009, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Richard Gerlach & Zudi Lu & Hai Huang, 2013. "Exponentially Smoothing the Skewed Laplace Distribution for Value‐at‐Risk Forecasting," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(6), pages 534-550, 09.
- Chen, C.W.S. & Gerlach, R. & Hwang, B.B.K. & McAleer, M.J., 2011.
"Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intraday Range,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2011-17, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard & Hwang, Bruce B.K. & McAleer, Michael, 2012. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk using nonlinear regression quantiles and the intra-day range," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 557-574.
- Cathy W. S. Chen & Richard Gerlach & Bruce B. K. Hwang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intra-day Range," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-16, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Cathy W. S. Chen & Richard Gerlach & Bruce B. K. Hwang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intra-day Range," Working Papers in Economics 11/22, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Cathy W. S. Chen & Richard Gerlach & Bruce B. K. Hwang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intra-day Range," KIER Working Papers 775, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Huarng, Kun-Huang & Yu, Tiffany Hui-Kuang, 2014. "A new quantile regression forecasting model," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(5), pages 779-784.
- Cathy Chen & Richard Gerlach, 2013. "Semi-parametric quantile estimation for double threshold autoregressive models with heteroskedasticity," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 1103-1131, June.
- Liu, Xiaochun, 2013. "Markov-Switching Quantile Autoregression," MPRA Paper 55800, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alhamzawi, Rahim & Yu, Keming, 2013. "Conjugate priors and variable selection for Bayesian quantile regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 209-219.
- Mauro Bernardi & Ghislaine Gayraud & Lea Petrella, 2013. "Bayesian inference for CoVaR," Papers 1306.2834, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2013.
- Yuta Kurose & Yasuhiro Omori, 2012. "Bayesian Analysis of Time-Varying Quantiles Using a Smoothing Spline," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-845, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.