Using Exponentially Weighted Quantile Regression to Estimate Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall
AbstractWe propose exponentially weighted quantile regression (EWQR) for estimating time-varying quantiles. The EWQR cost function can be used as the basis for estimating the time-varying expected shortfall associated with the EWQR quantile forecast. We express EWQR in a kernel estimation framework, and then modify it by adapting a previously proposed double kernel estimator in order to provide greater accuracy for tail quantiles that are changing relatively quickly over time. We introduce double kernel quantile regression, which extends the double kernel idea to the modeling of quantiles in terms of regressors. In our empirical study of 10 stock returns series, the versions of the new methods that do not accommodate the leverage effect were able to outperform GARCH-based methods and CAViaR models. Copyright The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Julia Schaumburg & Melanie Schienle, 2011.
"Financial Network Systemic Risk Contributions,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2011-072, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Schaumburg, Julia & Schienle, Melanie, 2013. "Financial network systemic risk contributions," CFS Working Paper Series 2013/20, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Julia Schaumburg & Melanie Schienle, 2012. "Financial Network Systemic Risk Contributions," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-053, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Shih-Kang Chao & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Weining Wang, 2012. "Quantile Regression in Risk Calibration," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-006, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Thomas C. Chiang & Jiandong Li, 2012. "Stock Returns and Risk: Evidence from Quantile," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(1), pages 20-58, December.
- Benjamin Hamidi & Bertrand Maillet & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2014.
"A Dynamic AutoRegressive Expectile for Time-Invariant Portfolio Protection Strategies,"
- Benjamin Hamidi & Bertrand Maillet & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2014. "A Dynamic AutoRegressive Expectile for Time-Invariant Portfolio Protection Strategies," Working Papers 2014-131, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00336475 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ecu:wpaper:2010-03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rubia, Antonio & Sanchis-Marco, Lidia, 2013. "On downside risk predictability through liquidity and trading activity: A dynamic quantile approach," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 202-219.
- Mauro Bernardi & Ghislaine Gayraud & Lea Petrella, 2013. "Bayesian inference for CoVaR," Papers 1306.2834, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2013.
- Zhu, Dongming & Galbraith, John W., 2011. "Modeling and forecasting expected shortfall with the generalized asymmetric Student-t and asymmetric exponential power distributions," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 765-778, September.
- Alex Huang, 2013. "Value at risk estimation by quantile regression and kernel estimator," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 225-251, August.
- Marcelo Brutti Righi & Paulo Sergio Ceretta, 2013. "Pair Copula Construction based Expected Shortfall estimation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1067-1072.
- Dirk G Baur & Thomas Dimpfl, 2012. "State-dependent Momentum in International Stock Markets," Working Paper Series 169, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00389773 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baur, Dirk G. & Schulze, Niels, 2009. "Financial market stability--A test," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 506-519, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.