Estimating Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall Using Expectiles
AbstractExpectile models are derived using asymmetric least squares. A simple formula has been presented that relates the expectile to the expectation of exceedances beyond the expectile. We use this as the basis for estimating the expected shortfall. It has been proposed that the θ quantile be estimated by the expectile for which the proportion of observations below the expectile is θ. In this way, an expectile can be used to estimate value at risk. Using expectiles has the appeal of avoiding distributional assumptions. For univariate modeling, we introduce conditional autoregressive expectiles (CARE). Empirical results for the new approach are competitive with established benchmarks methods. Copyright , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Omid Sabbaghi, 2011. "The behavior of green exchange-traded funds," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(5), pages 426-441, May.
- Benjamin Hamidi & Emmanuel Jurczenko & Bertrand Maillet, 2009. "D'un multiple conditionnel en assurance de portefeuille : CAViaR pour les gestionnaires ?," Post-Print halshs-00389773, HAL.
- Mengmeng Guo & Lhan Zhou & Jianhua Z. Huang & Wolfgang Karl Härdle, 2013. "Functional Data Analysis of Generalized Quantile Regressions," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-001, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ngoc Mai Tran & Maria Osipenko & Wolfgang Karl Härdle, 2014. "Principal Component Analysis in an Asymmetric Norm," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2014-001, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Emmanuel Jurczenko & Bertrand Maillet & Paul Merlin, 2008. "Efficient Frontier for Robust Higher-order Moment Portfolio Selection," Post-Print halshs-00336475, HAL.
- Kuan, Chung-Ming & Yeh, Jin-Huei & Hsu, Yu-Chin, 2009. "Assessing value at risk with CARE, the Conditional Autoregressive Expectile models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 261-270, June.
- Mengmeng Guo & Wolfgang Härdle, 2012. "Simultaneous confidence bands for expectile functions," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 96(4), pages 517-541, October.
- Zhijie Xiao & Roger Koenker, 2009. "Conditional Quantile Estimation for GARCH Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 725, Boston College Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.