Where is the risk? Price, yield and cost risk in Swiss crop production
AbstractRisk management strategies are of increasing importance in agriculture. An important question is, what type of risk management strategies are required to reduce farmers’ income risks. Applying a variance decomposition approach using data of more than 3000 Swiss farms over a five year time period, this paper quantifies the direct and indirect effects of yields, prices and costs on net revenue variability at the farm‐level. We find that costs play only a minor role in determining income variability but price and yield risks are of outmost importance and very crop‐specific. For instance, price risks dominate for intensive wheat and sugar beet producer; while corn and barley producer tend to suffer more form production risks. Group comparisons and logistic regressions results show that more intensively producing farms tend to suffer more from price risk, while yield risks are dominant for less intensive producers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil with number 126758.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
variance decomposition; revenue risk; cost risk; crop production; natural hedge; Crop Production/Industries; Risk and Uncertainty; Q12; Q10;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-07-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-RMG-2012-07-23 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Shingo Kimura & Jesús Antón & Christine LeThi, 2010. "Farm Level Analysis of Risk and Risk Management Strategies and Policies: Cross Country Analysis," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 26, OECD Publishing.
- Felix Schläpfer & Michael Tucker & Irmi Seidl, 2002. "Returns from Hay Cultivation in Fertilized Low Diversity and Non-Fertilized High Diversity Grassland," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(1), pages 89-100, January.
- Finger, Robert, 2010.
"Evidence of slowing yield growth - The example of Swiss cereal yields,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 175-182, April.
- Finger, Robert, 2007. "Evidence of slowing yield growth – the example of Swiss cereal yields," MPRA Paper 9475, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlo Cafiero & Fabian Capitanio & Antonio Cioffi & Adele Coppola, 2007. "Risk and Crisis Management in the Reformed European Agricultural Policy," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(4), pages 419-441, December.
- Martial Phélippé-Guinvarc’H & Jean Cordier, 2010. "An option on the average European futures prices for an efficient hog producer risk management," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 91(1), pages 27-42.
- Olivier Mahul, 2003. "Hedging price risk in the presence of crop yield and revenue insurance," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 217-239, June.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Schmit, Todd M. & Boisvert, Richard N. & Tauer, Loren W., 2007. "Quantifying Sources of Dairy Farm Business Risk and Implications for Risk Management Strategies," Working Papers 127012, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Meuwissen, Miranda P.M. & Van Asseldonk, Marcel A.P.M. & Pietola, Kyosti & Hardaker, J. Brian & Huirne, Ruud B.M., 2011. "Income insurance as a risk management tool after 2013 CAP reforms?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114649, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Marra, Michele C. & Schurle, Bryan W., 1994. "Kansas Wheat Yield Risk Measures And Aggregation: A Meta- Analysis Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Arnaud Reynaud, 2009. "Adaptation à court et à long terme de l'agriculture au risque de sécheresse : une approche par couplage de modèles biophysiques et économiques," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 90(2), pages 121-154.
- Finger, Robert, 2012. "Nitrogen use and the effects of nitrogen taxation under consideration of production and price risks," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 107(C), pages 13-20.
- Finger, Robert, 2012. "How strong is the “natural hedge”? The effects of crop acreage and aggregation levels," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122538, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Perry, Gregory M. & Rister, M. Edward & Richardson, James W. & Bessler, David A., 1989. "Incorporating Government Program Provisions Into A Mean-Variance Framework," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Anton, Jesus & Kimura, Shingo, 2009. "Farm Level Analysis of Risk, and Risk Management Strategies and Policies: Evidence from German Crop Farms," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51729, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Christopher A. Wolf & J. Roy Black & Joleen C. Hadrich, 2009. "Upper Midwest dairy farm revenue variation and insurance implications," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 69(3), pages 346-358, November.
- Finger, Robert & El Benni, Nadja, 2011. "Farmers’ Adoption of Extensive Wheat Production - Determinants and Implications," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 98979, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Robert Finger & Niklaus Lehmann, 2012. "The influence of direct payments on farmers’ hail insurance decisions," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 343-354, 05.
- Cornelis Gardebroek & María Daniela Chavez & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2010. "Analysing Production Technology and Risk in Organic and Conventional Dutch Arable Farming using Panel Data," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 60-75.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.