A Note on Price Risks in Swiss Crop Production – Empirical Results and Comparisons with other Countries
AbstractThe liberalization of Swiss agricultural markets will not only decrease crop price levels but is also expected to increase the volatility of prices. Even though these potential increases in price volatilities for Swiss producers are acknowledged as an important fact, no empirical estimates are available yet. To fill this gap, we estimate absolute and relative crop price volatilities of wheat, barley, maize, triticale, potato, rapeseed, and sugar beet applying autoregressive models using annual price data for the period 1991 – 2009. The results for Switzerland are compared with estimates for the USA, Germany, France, and the Netherlands. Relative price volatilities, expressed by the coefficient of variation, are found to be lower in Switzerland by a factor of 2 – 3 compared to the other considered countries. For some crops such as potatoes the differences are even higher. An increase in price volatilities of this magnitude due to market liberalization may become a threat to Swiss farmers. Thus, anticipatory actions of policy makers and producers with regard to the development of price risk management strategies might worth to be considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology in its journal Yearbook of Socioeconomics in Agriculture.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
crop price volatility; time series analysis; agricultural markets; Switzerland;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001.
"Uncertainty, risk aversion, and risk management for agricultural producers,"
Handbook of Agricultural Economics,
in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 88-153
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion, and Risk Management for Agricultural Producers," Staff General Research Papers 5323, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- George Rapsomanikis & Alexander Sarris, 2008. "Market Integration and Uncertainty: The Impact of Domestic and International Commodity Price Variability on Rural Household Income and Welfare in Ghana and Peru," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(9), pages 1354-1381.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Finger, Robert & Fischler, Martin & Berlin, Robert & Marin, Yuri & Perez, Francisco Jose & Paiz, Francisco, 2012. "Factors Determining the Adoption and Impact of a Postharvest Storage Technology," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125138, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Carlo Cafiero & Fabian Capitanio & Antonio Cioffi & Adele Coppola, 2007. "Risk and Crisis Management in the Reformed European Agricultural Policy," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(4), pages 419-441, December.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Robert Finger & Niklaus Lehmann, 2012. "The influence of direct payments on farmers’ hail insurance decisions," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 343-354, 05.
- Oliver Musshoff & Norbert Hirschauer, 2009. "Optimizing Production Decisions Using a Hybrid Simulation-Genetic Algorithm Approach," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 57(1), pages 35-54, 03.
- Calm G. Turvey, 1992. "An Economic Analysis of Alternative Farm Revenue Insurance Policies," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 40(3), pages 403-426, November.
- Olivier Mahul & Brian D. Wright, 2003.
"Designing Optimal Crop Revenue Insurance,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 580-589.
- Poulton, Colin & Kydd, Jonathan & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2006. "State intervention for food price stabilisation in Africa: Can it work?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 342-356, August.
- Sarris, Alexander H., 2000. "Has world cereal market instability increased?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 337-350, June.
- Robert Finger, 2010. "Revisiting the Evaluation of Robust Regression Techniques for Crop Yield Data Detrending," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(1), pages 205-211.
- Elam, Emmett W., 1992. "Cash Forward Contracting Versus Hedging Of Fed Cattle, And The Impact Of Cash Contracting On Cash Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Mar�a Bielza & Alberto Garrido & José M. Sumpsi, 2007. "Feasibility of a cash forward contract: An application to the French and Spanish potato sectors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 245-261.
- Nganje, William E. & Stoltman, Gwen, 2000. "Price Variability And Financial Risk For Sugar Beet Growers," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36493, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Briner).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.