The effects of E. coli 0157:H7, FMD and BSE on Japanese retail beef prices: A historical decomposition
AbstractThis study examines Japanese retail price reactions to the 2001 bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) discovery, the 2000 outbreak of foot and mouth disease (FMD), and the 1996 E. coli food poisoning events. Historical decomposition of retail-level price series aids in explaining the behavior of beef prices in a neighborhood (period-by-period time interval) of the three events. This is based on an application of directed acyclic graphs, constructing orthogonal innovations to determine causal patterns behind contemporaneous innovations. The results show that the beef safety and animal health events had different negative impacts on Japanese retail beef prices, suggesting that consumers understood and differentiated among the health risks. The results provide incentives for beef producers and retailers to inform consumers proactively about ongoing beef safety and animal health measures. Understanding consumer reaction to BSE, FMD, and E. coli helps the beef industry restore consumer confidence after future crises, and provides policy makers a basis for countermeasures and compensations. [EconLit citations: Q11, Q13]. © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 131-147, 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B., 2005.
"Price Transmission and Food Scares in the U.S. Beef Sector,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19485, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B., 2005. "Price Transmission and Food Scares in the U.S. Beef Sector," Working Papers 15662, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Paarlberg, Philip L. & Lee, John G. & Seitzinger, Ann Hillberg, 2003. "Measuring Welfare Effects of an FMD Outbreak in the United States," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(01), April.
- MacKinnon, James G & Haug, Alfred A & Michelis, Leo, 1999.
"Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 563-77, Sept.-Oct.
- James G. MacKinnon & Alfred A. Haug & Leo Michelis, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," Working Papers 1996_07, York University, Department of Economics.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Haug, A.A. & Michelis, L., 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a09, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986.
"Alternative explanations of the money-income correlation,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 49-99, January.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1986. "Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income Correlation," NBER Working Papers 1842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hyun J. Jin & Won W. Koo, 2003. "The effect of the BSE outbreak in Japan on consumers' preferences," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 173-192, June.
- Erikson, Glade R. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Jussaume, Raymond A., Jr. & Shi, Hongqi, 1998. "Product Characteristics Affecting Consumers' Fresh Beef Cut Purchasing Decisions In The United States, Japan, And Australia," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(3), November.
- Saghaian, Sayed H. & Hasan, Mohamad F. & Reed, Michael R., 2002. "Overshooting Of Agricultural Prices In Four Asian Economies," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Lusk, Jayson L., 2002.
"Effects of Meat Recalls on Futures Market Prices,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(1), April.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2000. "Effects Of Meat Recalls On Futures Market Prices," 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois 18925, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Fox, John A. & Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa, 2002. "Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (Bse): Risks And Implications For The United States," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19061, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.