The effect of the BSE outbreak in Japan on consumers' preferences
AbstractA nonparametric approach was used to test whether there was a structural change in Japanese consumers' demand for meat as a result of the BSE outbreak in the country. The axiom of revealed preference was utilised to test the stability of preferences in Japanese meat consumption. The matrix of the weak form of revealed preference (WARP) was partitioned and Kruskal--Wallis statistics were derived to evaluate whether the preference switches found are transitory or due to a structural change. Empirical results show that Japanese meat demand is currently unstable and has undergone structural change, synchronised with the BSE outbreak in Japan in mid-September 2001. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sayed H. Saghaian & Leigh J. Maynard & Michael R. Reed, 2007. "The effects of E. coli 0157:H7, FMD and BSE on Japanese retail beef prices: A historical decomposition," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 131-147.
- Hailu, Getu & Goddard, Ellen W., 2010. "The changing egg demand in Canada: do advertising and health message contents matter?," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116427, European Association of Agricultural Economists;Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jin, Hyun Joung, 2008. "Changes in South Korean consumers' preferences for meat," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 74-84, February.
- Ding, Yulian & Veeman, Michele M. & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 2009. "BSE and the Dynamics of Beef Consumption: Influences of Habit and Trust," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49284, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Moonsoo Park & Yanhong H. Jin & David A. Bessler, 2008.
"The impacts of animal disease crises on the Korean meat market,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 183-195, 09.
- Park, Moon-Soo & Jin, Yanhong H. & Bessler, David A., 2008. "The Impacts of Animal Disease Crises on the Korean Meat Market," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6365, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jin, Hyun Joung & Skripnitchenko, Anatoliy & Koo, Won W., 2004. "The Effects Of The Bse Outbreak In The United States On The Beef And Cattle Industry," Special Reports 23072, North Dakota State University, Center for Agricultural Policy and Trade Studies.
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B., 2005.
"Price Transmission and Food Scares in the U.S. Beef Sector,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19485, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B., 2005. "Price Transmission and Food Scares in the U.S. Beef Sector," Working Papers 15662, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Kalogeras, Nikos & Pennings, Joost M.E. & van Ittersum, Koert, 2008. "Consumer Food Safety Risk Attitudes and Perceptions Over Time: The Case of BSE Crisis," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44156, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Xueqin Zhu & Lia Wesenbeeck & Ekko Ierland, 2006. "Impacts of Novel Protein Foods on Sustainable Food Production and Consumption: Lifestyle Change and Environmental Policy," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 59-87, September.
- Yeboah, Godfred & Maynard, Leigh J., 2004. "The Impact Of Bse, Fmd, And U.S. Export Promotion Expenditures On Japanese Meat Demand," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19978, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.